Welcome in Art-En For Learning Languages (^_^)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 pm
Username : Remember me
Password :  
لوحة الإعلانات الإدارية

عذراً أخوتي .. تم إيقاف تسجيل الأعضاء الجدد في آرتين حتى إشعار آخر

Latest Posts

... Art-En.com ...   » لابدّ أن أستأذن الوطن .... نزار قباني *  .:. last poster: محمدابو حمود  .:.  replies: 4   ... Art-En.com ...   » لا يصلح العطار ما افسدة الدهر  .:. last poster: محمد الربيعي  .:.  replies: 2   ... Art-En.com ...   » مناقشة كتاب"Translation with Reference to English & Arabic"  .:. last poster: Jordan  .:.  replies: 124   ... Art-En.com ...   » المعرب و الدخيل و المولد ... تتمة  .:. last poster: aaahhhmad  .:.  replies: 6   ... Art-En.com ...   » تحميل ملف  .:. last poster: مصطفى العلي  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » The Best Short Stories of J.G. bialard The Terminal Beach  .:. last poster: المرعاش  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » هام للطلاب الي بيواجهوا صعوبه بمادة الصوتيا  .:. last poster: bassam93  .:.  replies: 16   ... Art-En.com ...   » مساعدة مشروع تخرج عن تراجيديات شكسبير  .:. last poster: ahmadaway  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » نتائج سنوات 2009 2010 2011  .:. last poster: أبو عمر  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » نتائج سنوات 2009 2010 2011  .:. last poster: أبو عمر  .:.  replies: 0

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Warning :
- In this section , you can write in English only ; writing in any other language is forbidden !!! :idea:

• Post subject: Between The Heart And Mind
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:38 am 
آرتيني مؤسس
آرتيني مؤسس
Topics: 117
Department: ELT MA
I have no topics yet

Hi there !  *Hi

The title is very simple and deep indeed *اي
Actually, our friend Huda inspired me to start such a topic  8) When she mentioned the title in "What's on your mind?" topic. Indeed, it is very argumentative and controversial issue from many sides.
I'll not ask any question. I'll keep the discussion open just let us know your point of view when you come across such title.  :wink:
Where do you find yourself between the heart and mind?  *ممم

Top .:. Bottom

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:13 am 
مشرف قسم الترجمة في الانجليزية
مشرف قسم الترجمة في الانجليزية
Topics: 226
Department: English
Grade: Graduated
I have no topics yet

Quote:
Where do you find yourself between the heart and mind?  

I fide that sometimes I am contradicting myself when I believe storngly that something is right and find that I am behaving the opposite
My heart tells that I should be ashamed of myself or I have to go with the stream...
Does the saying that a still water runs deep undertakes my situation ?!
I dont know Actually it is a matter of being
and being needs the achievement of the so called happiness and the stability of mind and conscious.
I dont know what to say
but really the relation between our intentions and beliefs and deeds are arbitrary  :(

Well lets see what do you have

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:21 am 
مشرف موسوعة الأدب الانجليزي
Topics: 60
Department: Literature, Film, and Theatre
Grade: MA
I have no topics yet

عبير  *1

Thank you for issuing this nice topic, and also many thanks to Huda who has inspired you.
Unfortunately, many people consider "Heart" and "Mind"  as two poles, while in fact they are NOT so. They think that one 'should'  be 'in favour' of either the heart or the mind. Of course what is meant by 'Heart' and 'Mind'  is "feelings" and "logic". Here let me again refer to the theory of Yin-Yang, because this theory explains the relation between 'heart' and 'mind'.  As I mentioned in my topic of Literary Quotations, this theory says that everything in this universe exists in relation to something else. The symbol of this theory consists of a circle, and this circle is divided into two halves:  Black and White; Yang = White, Yin = Black. The matter does NOT end with this; inside the white half there is a small black circle, and inside the black half there is a small white circle. Now what is meant by this is that black and while are not opposites as most people think; but rather black and white, with what they represent, complete each other to form the whole circle which represents anything in its whole. The circle also says that nothing is completely Yin or completely Yang, completely white or completely black, completely 'Heart' or 'completely 'Mind', through the existence of the small circles in the opposite part of their colours. This theory says that some people tend to be 'yin' and others to be 'Yang'; but they are never completely Yin or completely Yang. In a 'Yang person', the dominant characteristics are the characteristics of the Yang, but he/she has also Yin characteristics. This is my own understanding of the theory, and these are my own words.

Now you may be asking yourselves that our topic is about "the Heart and Mind", not about "Yin-Yang"; what is the relation between "heart and mind topic" and "Yin-Yang theory"? In fact, discussing the Yin-Yang theory is but discussing  the relation between heart and mind. The relation between Heart and Mind is like that of Yin and Yang: Yang represents Mind  and Yin represents Heart. Just apply what I mentioned about the theory of Yin-Yang  to Heart and Mind, and you will understand this relation exactly. Some people tend to be "in favour" of Mind; this does not mean in anyway that they do not possess some characteristics of those who are "in favour" of Heart; and vice versa.

As for me, I'm 'in favour' of mind, although I think that 'Heart and Mind" dominate my personality equally. I sometimes suppress my 'feelings' in order not to cause me much sadness. When I like to say or do something and I know this is against logic, I try to convince myself that this is just a façade and not my true feeling or desire. By doing so I allow my mind to control my personality. When my "Heart" and my "Mind" go together I become the happiest person on the earth, of course this is very very rare :mrgreen: . In accordance to the previous 'facts', a person who is controlled by his mind tends to live a sad life, because they're preventing themselves from living their own desires, wishes and feelings. For to follow your heart is to live your own feelings. Here I remember a nice quote that was used by a member of art-en as her signature: "Life is a tragedy to those who think, a comedy to those who feel."
I'm soooooooo sorry for this SHORT reply. I hope that you will not get bored when you read it. :mrgreen:
Abeer, do not forget to post your own opinion as well :mrgreen:  By the way, your new signature is marvelous and has to do with this topic. For what happens 'in us' represents "Heart", and what happens 'to us' represents "Mind". Don't you think so? So, you are 'in favour' of Heart because you're saying that what happens 'in us' is more important, am I right ??

"We are the choices we have made."

Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:30 pm 
مشرفة قسم قواعد اللغة الإنجليزية
مشرفة قسم قواعد اللغة الإنجليزية
Topics: 39
Department: ترجمة/لغـة إنكليـزية
Grade: Graduated
I have no topics yet

عبير,    *1
First this is for you  *1  *ورود
Second.....my participation :mrgreen: :
Where do you find yourself between the heart and mind
Always, a dialouge occurs between heart and mind, and one of them will convince the other with its point of view. This depends on the priority which we prefer and which exists in our nature.
To me, my heart often convinces my mind with its point of view, but I consult my mind to take the last decision, because I know that most of heart's decisions are not in harmony with the fact. So, my mind takes the last decision, even if this decision will hurt my heart, but our life needs this logic in thinking.
I want to say here that all my decisions which relate to people depend on mind, while decisions which relate to my personnel feelings depend on my heart only. :wink:
thanks alot sweety for this nice topic..... :wink:  *1

Ala Al-Ibrahim,    *1
Your detailed explanation for Yin-Yang theory gave me a complete view about this theory which I had heard about it long time ago, but without understanding it. :wink:
So, thanks alot for these important cultural points. *good

When we are unable to find tranquillity within ourselves, it is useless to seek it elsewhere

Last edited by Ranaa on Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:15 am 
آرتيني فعّال
آرتيني فعّال
Topics: 94
Department: اللغة الانكليزية
Grade: السادسة
I have no topics yet

NICE TOPIC

Confusion Will Be My Epitaph

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:53 am 
آرتيني فعّال
آرتيني فعّال
Topics: 242
Department: English
Grade: Graduate
I have no topics yet

السلام عليكم

Thanx Abeer fo this topic and for this idea

Ysterday when i read Ala-Ibrahim reply i really liked it, his way in explanation reflects his high academic degree, really nice

though it seems to me asif reading a criticism in his analyzing

Thanx

And because you are talking about Mind and Heart , i'd like to add a topic about this , for translation

I hope you have a look .

Sorry, you have to register to see the link If you are a member, just sign in

﴿٨١﴾ الإسراء

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:11 pm 
Topics: 60
Department: Literature, Film, and Theatre
Grade: MA
I have no topics yet

Ranaa,

Quote:
Always, a dialouge occurs between heart and mind, and one of them will convince the other with its point of view. This depends on the priority which we prefer and which exists in our nature.

Your reply  is very nice. I really liked it.  *good  *good
*1  *1  *1

Portia,  
Thank you for your kindness. I will read the topic, God Willing.  *1

I'd like to add a quotation about this issue, though this topic is not the topic of Literary Quotations. :mrgreen:  The quote is said by Gibran Kahlil Gibran under the title of Reason and Passion in The Prophet:

"Your reason and your passion are the rudder and the sails of your seafaring soul. If either your sails or your rudder be broken, you can but toss and drift, or else be held at a standstill in mid-seas.
For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining; and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction. Therefore let your soul exalt your reason to the height of passion, that it may sing;
And let it direct your passion with reason, that your passion may live through its own daily resurrection, and like the phoenix rise above its own ashes.
I would have you consider your judgement and your appetite even as you would two loved guests in your house.
Surely you would not honour one guest above the other; for he who is more mindful of one loses the love and the faith of both."

God Bless you All !! *1  *1  *1

"We are the choices we have made."

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:08 pm 
مشرفة أقسام اللغة العربية
مشرفة أقسام اللغة العربية
Topics: 275
Department: عربي
Grade: متخرجة
I have no topics yet

Well , I'll face some difficulty to participate with you because it's an argumentative topic , but I  fall in my bad deeds when I mentioned in " What's on your mind " :mrgreen:
Let me try  *خوف
I try to control myself by mind and use 1+1=2 , because our life works in this way , but , sometimes I depend on my feelings without knowing why , something takes me in this way , my heart tells me to do something without any reasons but after that I remember the reasons that prompt me to do such deeds .
So , like what Alaa *1  said , mind and heart are equal , but I think they need a suitable time to put every one in a suitable situation .
Then they complete each other to make our personality and life complete .

This is my opinion in this issue , thanks alot dear
Abeer,   *1

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:11 pm 
آرتيني فعّال
آرتيني فعّال
Topics: 94
Department: اللغة الانكليزية
Grade: السادسة
I have no topics yet

I believe in the followings:

Body, soul (HEART) and mind.

Now we have heart and mind.

Okay, I don’t know if you'll share me my point, but I believe, that the mind or the brain or the logic, is something dangerous, I am talking now in the way of planning our life, not the way of creating machine or new technology.

In our life if you focus on, we generally use two things, mind and heart.
Psychologically female part in us gets help from heart, and with mind helping males can depend on.

For me, I believe in something really, mmm let me say weird, oh, do you know that the brain which inside the head want to die?!
Oh how?
I will tell you.
This brain, if you are sleep, mind absent, thinking, talking, walking, etc, it works, and with problems it works with heavy stress.
Actually this organ of the body, wants to stop, wants to die, wants to take relax.
It wants to take relax by making us thinking in our point more, more, more and more.

Heart, it is our sweet organ, which gives blood to the body and love as soul.
And heart as I believe is more important and must be used for everything.

Let me give you example:
If you want to buy a car, ok?
You have for example two choice, MAZDA and HONDA
You know data from the salesman that Honda is more powerful, more lifelong, etc, and inside your heart, you love mazda.
I will tell you what will happen.
If you choose the logic car, which is Honda, you will stay all your life thinking why you buy this car, and sometimes or lot of time you will feel regret because you love mazda, in the end you will sell Honda, and buy mazda. All this way along, your brain wants you to think and think, it wants to die.
If you choose depending on your love for mazda, it will be the best car in the world, and you will inherit it to your sons and daughters.

Thanks

Confusion Will Be My Epitaph