Welcome in Art-En For Learning Languages (^_^)
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:52 pm
Username : Remember me
Password :  
لوحة الإعلانات الإدارية

عذراً أخوتي .. تم إيقاف تسجيل الأعضاء الجدد في آرتين حتى إشعار آخر

Latest Posts

... Art-En.com ...   » لابدّ أن أستأذن الوطن .... نزار قباني *  .:. last poster: محمدابو حمود  .:.  replies: 4   ... Art-En.com ...   » لا يصلح العطار ما افسدة الدهر  .:. last poster: محمد الربيعي  .:.  replies: 2   ... Art-En.com ...   » مناقشة كتاب"Translation with Reference to English & Arabic"  .:. last poster: Jordan  .:.  replies: 124   ... Art-En.com ...   » المعرب و الدخيل و المولد ... تتمة  .:. last poster: aaahhhmad  .:.  replies: 6   ... Art-En.com ...   » تحميل ملف  .:. last poster: مصطفى العلي  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » The Best Short Stories of J.G. bialard The Terminal Beach  .:. last poster: المرعاش  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » هام للطلاب الي بيواجهوا صعوبه بمادة الصوتيا  .:. last poster: bassam93  .:.  replies: 16   ... Art-En.com ...   » مساعدة مشروع تخرج عن تراجيديات شكسبير  .:. last poster: ahmadaway  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » نتائج سنوات 2009 2010 2011  .:. last poster: أبو عمر  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » نتائج سنوات 2009 2010 2011  .:. last poster: أبو عمر  .:.  replies: 0

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Warning :
- In this section , you can write in English only ; writing in any other language is forbidden !!! :idea:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 28  Next
  • Post subject: What is your favourite quotation? Write it here please
Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:13 pm 
آرتيني فعّال
آرتيني فعّال
Topics: 6
Department: اللغة الانكليزية
I have no topics yet

" The really great person is the person who makes everybody feel great "
G.K. Chesterton, English writer

Odysseus,  

Thanks alot Mr. Ala'  *1

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared

Top .:. Bottom

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:48 pm 
مشرف موسوعة الأدب الانجليزي
Topics: 60
Department: Literature, Film, and Theatre
Grade: MA
I have no topics yet

تيماء,  
Quote:
" The really great person is the person who makes everybody feel great "

Very Very Very nice. And I think that you're great. Thanx and keep participating *1  *1

New One:

The Man and the Lion

A Man and a Lion were discussing the relative strength of men and lions in general, the Man contending that he and his fellows were stronger than lions by reason of their greater intelligence.

"Come now with me," he cried to the beast, "and I will soon prove that I am right."  So he took him into the public gardens and showed him a statue of Hercules overcoming the Lion.  and tearing him to pieces.

"That is all very well," said the Lion, "but it proves nothing, for it was a man who made the statue!"

"We are the choices we have made."

Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:12 pm 
آرتيني مؤسس
آرتيني مؤسس
Topics: 117
Department: ELT MA
I have no topics yet

Odysseus,  
Quote:
You seem that you love this play, I mean Romeo and Juliet.

Actually,  this nice play remind me of Dr. Marwa ( I miss her so much  :(  ) because I 've attended all the lectures in your department and Dr. Marwa's explanation was fantastic  *1 .

You are choosing nice quotations too  :wink:

Now I'll add new quotation and this time it is from Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. It is one of my best novels.

"Why, she's a liar to the end! Where is she? Not there—not in heaven—not perished—where? Oh! you said you cared nothing for my sufferings! And I pray one prayer—I repeat it till my tongue stiffens—Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living; you said I killed you—haunt me, then! The murdered do haunt their murderers, I believe. I know that ghosts have wandered on earth. Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul"

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:42 am 
I have no topics yet

Abeer, You've just reminded me when I read your passage for the first time. I sympathized with Heathcliff at that time. I felt sorry for him. He suffered a lot.

I also love this novel. It is my second favorite novel, after Jude the Obscure. You've quoted from chapter XVI, I'm going to choose a quotation from chapter XV; These two chapters are the most important in my opinion. They are very tragic and very romantic, and I love tragic moments. My following quote is said by Catherine to Heathcliff. She says,

"I wish I could hold you till we were both dead! I shouldn't care what you suffered. I care nothing for your sufferings. Why shouldn't you suffer? I do! Will you forget me? Will you be happy when I am in the earth? Will you say, twenty years hence, 'That's the grave of Catherine Earnshaw. I loved her long ago, and was wretched to lose her; but it is past. I've loved many others since: my children are dearer to me than she was; and at death, I shall not rejoice that I am going to her: I shall be sorry that I must leave them!' Will you say so, Heathcliff!"

• Post subject: ! Literary Works . . and Quotations
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:20 pm 
آرتيني فعّال
آرتيني فعّال
I have no topics yet

Quote:
Very Very Very nice. And I think that you're great. Thanx and keep participating

Thanks alot Sir *1

ok today I have a quotation which I read yesterday but frankly I couldn't understand it well :|  

it's for a Swedish film actress ( Ingrid Bergman )  :

" Happiness is good health and a bad memory "

what does he mean by it's a bad memory *ممم

Sorry if I post sth I don't understand but I've been thinking alot about it  :|

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:49 pm 
I have no topics yet

Tayma', I'm happy to read your name in this topic.
Quote:
" Happiness is good health and a bad memory "

It is Marvelous. I like such type of statements. This statement has the following meaning:

In order to be happy, you must achieve two conditions: 1- The first condition is to be healthy, because if you are sick, you will be suffering the pain and you won't find the time to be happy and to laugh. 2- The second condition, If you want to be happy you must have a bad memory, because if your memory is good you will remember your dead friend, your dead relative, a tragic moment, . . . etc. at this happy moment and as a result you'll lose your happiness. That is the whole meaning, I think so. *1

Now, Again a new quote from Aesop's Fables. I'm quoting from these fables because they are very nice. Every story has a lesson. So, after you finish reading every fable ask yourself, "What does this mean?" Okay? :wink:

The Wolf and the Lamb

A hungry Wolf one day saw a Lamb drinking at a stream, and wished to frame some plausible excuse for making him his prey.

"What do you mean by muddling the water I am going to drink?" fiercely said he to the Lamb.

"Pray forgive me," meekly answered the Lamb; "I should be sorry in any way to displease you, but as the stream runs from you toward me, you will see that such cannot be the case."

"That's all very well," said the Wolf; "but you know you spoke ill of me behind my back a year ago."

"Nay, believe me," replied the Lamb, "I was not then born."

"It must have been your brother, then," growled the Wolf.

"It cannot have been, for I never had any," answered the Lamb.

"I know it was one of your lot," rejoined the Wolf, "so make no more such idle excuses."  He then seized the poor Lamb, carried him off to the woods, and ate him, but before the poor creature died he gasped out, feebly, "Any excuse will serve a tyrant."

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:45 pm 
آرتيني مشارك
آرتيني مشارك
Topics: 11
Department: ENGLAIS
Grade: 3eme
I have no topics yet

CAN I GIVE YOU MY OPINION !.IN MY POINT OF VIEW I LIKE THE POEM .. AS POEM OF T S ELIOT IN THE WASTELAND T.S. Eliot  
THESE IS A SMALL PART FROM CHAPTER ONE...

[I.   The Burial of the Dead

April is the cruelest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
Winter kept us warm, covering
Earth in forgetful snow, feeding
A little life with dried tubers.
Summer surprised us, coming over the Starnbergersee
With a shower of rain; we stopped in the colonnade,
And went on in sunlight, into the Hofgarten,
And drank coffee, and talked for an hour.
Bin gar keine Russin, stamm' aus Litauen, echt deutsch. 12
And when we were children, staying at the arch-duke's,
My cousin's, he took me out on a sled,
And I was frightened.  He said, Marie,
Marie, hold on tight.  And down we went.[/align]

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:14 pm 
آرتيني فعّال
آرتيني فعّال
I have no topics yet

Quote:
2- The second condition, If you want to be happy you must have a bad memory, because if your memory is good you will remember your dead friend, your dead relative, a tragic moment, . . . etc. at this happy moment and as a result you'll lose your happiness.

wow  *good  really you're amazing Ala'
that's right to be happy you should have a bad memory in order to forget all your sad events..really an amazing meaning..thanks *1

Now let's say sth about shopping . It's a famouse sentence :

" The customer is always right ! "  :wink:

but do you know who said that famouse sentence ?

He's H.Gordon Selfridge , department store owner.

*1  *1  *1

Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:23 pm 
آرتيني فعّال
آرتيني فعّال
I have no topics yet

Quote:
The Wolf and the Lamb

So nice story  *1

Quote:
"Any excuse will serve a tyrant."

that's completely right  :|
that reminds me of what happening now in Gaza ; Israel doesn't wait any excuse to be tyrannical because any illogical reason will serve it :|

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:25 am 
I have no topics yet

تيماء,  
Quote:
you're amazing Ala'

:wink:
That's very kind of you. Thanx a lot. *ورود
Quote:
" The customer is always right ! "

In fact I always hear this statement, but it is the first time to know that it's said by H. G. Selfridge, Thanx again *ورود

Quote:
Israel doesn't wait any excuse to be tyrannical because any illogical reason will serve it

You are very smart. In fact this is my purpose of posting the last fable. The Arab Must stop being Lambs.

fllower of the days,  
Thank you for your participation. I love T. S. Eliot so much.
Quote:
Winter kept us warm

very very nice, thank you Flower, you deserve at least a flower *1
I'm going to put another statement by Eliot:

"For last year's words belong to last year's language. And next year's words await another voice. And to make an end is to make a beginning."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 28  Next