Welcome in Art-En For Learning Languages (^_^)
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:58 pm
Username : Remember me
Password :  
لوحة الإعلانات الإدارية

عذراً أخوتي .. تم إيقاف تسجيل الأعضاء الجدد في آرتين حتى إشعار آخر

Latest Posts

... Art-En.com ...   » لابدّ أن أستأذن الوطن .... نزار قباني *  .:. last poster: محمدابو حمود  .:.  replies: 4   ... Art-En.com ...   » لا يصلح العطار ما افسدة الدهر  .:. last poster: محمد الربيعي  .:.  replies: 2   ... Art-En.com ...   » مناقشة كتاب"Translation with Reference to English & Arabic"  .:. last poster: Jordan  .:.  replies: 124   ... Art-En.com ...   » المعرب و الدخيل و المولد ... تتمة  .:. last poster: aaahhhmad  .:.  replies: 6   ... Art-En.com ...   » تحميل ملف  .:. last poster: مصطفى العلي  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » The Best Short Stories of J.G. bialard The Terminal Beach  .:. last poster: المرعاش  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » هام للطلاب الي بيواجهوا صعوبه بمادة الصوتيا  .:. last poster: bassam93  .:.  replies: 16   ... Art-En.com ...   » مساعدة مشروع تخرج عن تراجيديات شكسبير  .:. last poster: ahmadaway  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » نتائج سنوات 2009 2010 2011  .:. last poster: أبو عمر  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » نتائج سنوات 2009 2010 2011  .:. last poster: أبو عمر  .:.  replies: 0

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Warning :
- In this section , you can write in English only ; writing in any other language is forbidden !!! :idea:

• Post subject: Where beliefs come from?
Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:05 pm 
آرتيني مؤسس
آرتيني مؤسس
Topics: 68
Department: E
Grade: ماستر/ELT...
I have no topics yet

Where do you think your belief in something lies in? reason, logic, experience, knowledge, gut feeling / intution, or anything else.

For example: If you believe lying is not good. Why do you think so? What makes you say that it is not good? and Why?

Is it because: you have reasoned it? because you have experienced that lying leads to good or bad consequences? or somebody has said so? or any other reason.

Nelson Mandela

Top .:. Bottom

Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:58 am 
آرتيني مؤسس
آرتيني مؤسس
Topics: 32
Department: EN
Grade: ----
I have no topics yet

SANA GREAT TOPIC......(COZ LOTS OF PEOPLE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE SOURCE OF THEIR BELIEFS)

LOOK... WHEN JUDGING ANYTHING IN LIFE ,I TRY HARD TO  CONSIDER REASON AND LOGIC ALTHOUGH SOMETIMES EXPERIENCE CAN SERVE BETTER.KNOWLEDGE IS ALSO USEFUL SO IT DEPENDS ON THE SITUATION I AM INVOLVED IN TO DECIDE ON WHAT I MUST RELY; REASON ,EXPERIENCE, INTUITION, OR MAYBE CONVENTIONS ................

THAT IS  FOR ME ......LET,S C OTHERS

Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:12 pm 
آرتيني مؤسس
آرتيني مؤسس
I have no topics yet

Quote:
COZ LOTS OF PEOPLE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE SOURCE OF THEIR BELIEFS

they believe in what others tell them...

i can suggest that there is no one certain source
Quote:
REASON ,EXPERIENCE, INTUITION, OR MAYBE CONVENTIONS

beliefs can be formed by a combination of each of the things you have listed

We tend to believe in things that we have been told to believe, or that we have believed earlier. Old habits die hard. In fact, I think that something like reasoning, logic, knowledge and even experience really kick in only when we are going against our basic beliefs.
*ممم  *ممم

Nelson Mandela

Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:14 pm 
آرتيني فعّال
آرتيني فعّال
Topics: 29
Grade: رابعة
I have no topics yet

سنا
Nice topic, here's my comment
Quote:
ALTHOUGH SOMETIMES EXPERIENCE CAN SERVE BETTER

I think it's the main source of beleiveness, I believe that lying is bad and brings me lots of trubels because I used to tell so many lies in my life for example, some came to

pass without any problems, but there are some lies that caused me too

many problems, so I got the idea that lying is bad..

Quote:
We tend to believe in things that we have been told to believe, or that we have believed earlier. Old habits die hard. In fact, I think that something like reasoning, logic, knowledge and even experience really kick in only when we are going against our basic beliefs.

Can you be clearer :?

Fill my fond heart with God alone, for he
Alone can rival, can succeed to thee.

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:55 am 
آرتيني مؤسس
آرتيني مؤسس
I have no topics yet

Quote:
اقتباس:

Can you be clearer

I mean that you don't have the chance to choose your religion, you believe in what others tell you, you do as your perants do. When you grow up you may think of that and you may not.

Our value and belief system is a very complicated thing. Our beliefs range in strength as well, some we keep for life and some alter with age and experience. But if anything is a product of our context it is probably belief. At earlier ages they usually mimic those of family or any type of influential character in one's life, as we have not as developed a higher order thinking ability or ego to create our own, nor the experience. In some way it is also genetic, but again this differs in the type and strength of belief. A combination of context, be it social, personal, political, racial, societal, or anything else, experience, and early childhood influence and genetics would be the most basic way of summing up all contributors to one's value and belief system.

Nelson Mandela

Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:13 pm 
آرتيني فعّال
آرتيني فعّال
Topics: 25
Department: English Department
Grade: 4th
I have no topics yet

Quote:
At earlier ages they usually mimic those of family or any type of influential character in one's life, as we have not as developed a higher order thinking ability or ego to create our own, nor the experience. In some way it is also genetic, but again this differs in the type and strength of belief

can you please explain this idea dear??

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:49 am 
آرتيني مؤسس
آرتيني مؤسس
I have no topics yet

I'm intending to say some theories such as the imitation of our ancestors or any character, such as Buddhism.this religion is drived from a normal person. so such things put us a way from thinking .. our families feed us with their ideas. we are not developed enough to find out the most suitable faith our ego believes in.  
Quote:
In some way it is also genetic, but again this differs in the type and strength of belief.

it is soooo clear dear :wink:

Nelson Mandela

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:31 pm 
آرتيني فعّال
آرتيني فعّال
I have no topics yet

Quote:
our families feed us with their ideas. we are not developed enough to find out the most suitable faith our ego believes in

You are totally free to think about your religion the way you want once you are able to know what's wrong and what's right, once you are able to think truly in a very reasonable way, to take in consideration everything, from your parents attitudes to your own ideas. You will reach the most suitable religion, believes that you will be satisfied with, sometimes it's different from your parents, and the whole community you are living in, so you will reach a state or either to follow what you believe in and forsake your family and friends, because in general, they won't be able to believe that you didn't believe in what they believe, or to forsake what you believe in, in order not to lose your beloved one, and because you don't trust yourself enough to take such a step.....
If you were courage enough, you will choose the first option, and you will find new worlds and new friends, and new families, but you were cowered, afraid, you will easily forsake what you believe in, in order not to be alone.
Thanks again, really wonderful topic.

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:06 pm 
آرتيني مؤسس
آرتيني مؤسس
I have no topics yet

Quote:
You are totally free to think about your religion the way you want once you are able to know what's wrong and what's right

once we reach this step I'm sure everything in our community will be better,I am found of Islam thats why I am able to be as good as I can regarding my belief. but some people are Islam but have nothing to do with their religion, why? do you think they are not sutisfied with it and they are forced to be Islam(or any other religion).
Society dictates our beileves and some times they are so deeply enrooted that we cannot change them anymore, rest of the factors have minor influence. I'll give you some exemples to think about: God - although we don't have any physical evidence of His existence we still believe in Him,or if not in God in some superntarual being that infulences existence of Universe; educational system: sometimes it seems like it's useless and pointelss to go to school/academy and you see peoples who made it (businessmen, politicians etc.) with only 9 or 10 classes, but you'll still end up going through it and eventually sending your children to follow your steps - because society says that way is the only way: be borned->learn->work->retire->die=be usefull to society and you better be nice and quiet

Nelson Mandela

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:48 pm 
آرتيني فعّال
آرتيني فعّال
I have no topics yet

Quote:
because society says that way is the only way: be borned->learn->work->retire->die=be usefull to society and you better be nice and quiet

belive me Sana, you can find millions of people who are simply copies of each other, like the serios you wrote, but there are exceptions....llisten to this...
we have a woman in our family who got only 7 classes, she didn't even got her 9th grade certefecation but she is very successful person, she got her own bussiness, her own house and she needs no one, while her sister, the one who got her college degree is so overwhilmed, though she is hard working, great person indeed, but she has nothing comparing to her sister, it's luck I call it.
For the reliogin thing that you said, yes you can find people who are believing in Islam only because they found their parents doing the same, but you got on the other hand people who sacrifiesed everything in their lives onle to change their religion....and it haappens alot.
Yes society affects, and deeply decidess our fates, but for every rule there are exceptions.