Welcome in Art-En For Learning Languages (^_^)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:51 pm
Username : Remember me
Password :  
لوحة الإعلانات الإدارية

عذراً أخوتي .. تم إيقاف تسجيل الأعضاء الجدد في آرتين حتى إشعار آخر

Latest Posts

... Art-En.com ...   » لابدّ أن أستأذن الوطن .... نزار قباني *  .:. last poster: محمدابو حمود  .:.  replies: 4   ... Art-En.com ...   » لا يصلح العطار ما افسدة الدهر  .:. last poster: محمد الربيعي  .:.  replies: 2   ... Art-En.com ...   » مناقشة كتاب"Translation with Reference to English & Arabic"  .:. last poster: Jordan  .:.  replies: 124   ... Art-En.com ...   » المعرب و الدخيل و المولد ... تتمة  .:. last poster: aaahhhmad  .:.  replies: 6   ... Art-En.com ...   » تحميل ملف  .:. last poster: مصطفى العلي  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » The Best Short Stories of J.G. bialard The Terminal Beach  .:. last poster: المرعاش  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » هام للطلاب الي بيواجهوا صعوبه بمادة الصوتيا  .:. last poster: bassam93  .:.  replies: 16   ... Art-En.com ...   » مساعدة مشروع تخرج عن تراجيديات شكسبير  .:. last poster: ahmadaway  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » نتائج سنوات 2009 2010 2011  .:. last poster: أبو عمر  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » نتائج سنوات 2009 2010 2011  .:. last poster: أبو عمر  .:.  replies: 0

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Warning :
- In this section , you can write in English only ; writing in any other language is forbidden !!! :idea:

• Post subject: How to Stop Saying I Don't Know ?
Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:35 am 
آرتيني فعّال
آرتيني فعّال
Topics: 242
Department: English
Grade: Graduate
I have no topics yet

In The Name Of Allah

Peace Be Upon You :
14/9/2010

How to Stop Saying I Don't Know

originated by:Foxglove, Martyn P, Mr handsome, Explain Liberal Doublespeak as a Conservative

Do you hear yourself saying "I don't know" to the point where you feel like people think you're a dull, blank slate? Many times, people fall into this habit out of laziness or apathy. How do you overcome the habit now that you are feeling more vivacious and engaged? This article will provide you with some inspiration!

1.   ( I don't know what else to say!) : Resolve to find a replacement phrase for now. Tell yourself that you will not say "I don't know" - unless you have listened carefully and really do not know. Instead, try saying something - anything - else.

It might be helpful to come up with several different words to say instead, to avoid slipping into making any of the replacement words becoming a habit as well. Some examples include: "Hmmm." Or, "Not sure." Or, "Maybe". Or, "What do you think?". In the latter case, asking a question back to the person can cause them to think a little more about what they've said, buying you some thinking time too!

_____

2. (  Phew! I guess it is a little rude!) :Recognize that it is perceived as lazy because it is lazy. The person you're talking to will know instantly that you simply don't want to think about what they've said, or that you're not even interested in talking to them. Once you say "I dunno," you've killed the conversation. Where does the other person go with that? Does s/he explain whatever it is that "you dunno"? You would find it rude, probably. Just as rude as shutting down the conversation with "I dunno."

If you really don't feel like talking, why not say "I don't feel like talking about that right now. Can we take a rain check and talk about it tonight/tomorrow?"

________

3. ( So what you're really saying is that this rental place might work for us?) : Listen actively. Instead of thinking about other things, staring off into space, or figuring out what you want to talk about next, try really listening to your conversation partner. Ask a question or two about what s/he's saying - anything is good. Try, "Is that right?" when you notice that the other person seems to be waiting for you to say something.

4. (OK, wait a sec...) : Think about what you're being asked. If you don't have an answer immediately, rather than saying "I don't know," instead, just pause. Think. If you're really flummoxed, beg your conversation partner's pardon by saying something like, "You know what - I don't think I ever really thought about it until now." At least this lets your partner know you heard him or her, and that you are actively thinking about the question rather than just automatically popping out with "I dunno."

5. ( Oops, what I really meant was...  I need time to think it through.) : Recant it if it comes out. "Recant" means "take it back". And don't get flustered over it. If you blurt out the unthinking "I dunno," just immediately say, "Wait... I think... Let me think about that for a second." Just take it back. Your conversation partner will be very generous about it, especially if s/he thinks you want to consider whatever it is that s/he was saying. Nothing is better in a conversation than making the other person feel as if you think whatever they're talking about is very important and worth thinking over.

6.  ( It takes time to stop reverting to an old habit...) : Accept that responding to people with "I don't know" is a bad habit and will take some time to break. Don't be too tough on yourself if you find yourself still saying it from time to time. Read wikiHow's article on how to break a habit for more ideas.

WikiHows
..................................................................................................
http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Saying-I-Don%27t-Know

Do you agree ? the writers of this topic ?

Though some say :

Quote:
قال ابن عباس: إذا تَرك العالم قولَ لا أدري فقد أُصِيبتْ مَقاتِلُه، قال: وكانوا يستحبُّون ألاّ يُجيبوا في كلِّ ما سُئلوا عنه .
قال: وقال عمرُ بن عبد العزيز: من قال عند ما لا يدرِي: لا أدرِي، فقد أحرَزَ نصف العلم  .

﴿٨١﴾ الإسراء

Top .:. Bottom