Welcome in Art-En For Learning Languages (^_^)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:29 am
Username : Remember me
Password :  
لوحة الإعلانات الإدارية

عذراً أخوتي .. تم إيقاف تسجيل الأعضاء الجدد في آرتين حتى إشعار آخر

Latest Posts

... Art-En.com ...   » لابدّ أن أستأذن الوطن .... نزار قباني *  .:. last poster: محمدابو حمود  .:.  replies: 4   ... Art-En.com ...   » لا يصلح العطار ما افسدة الدهر  .:. last poster: محمد الربيعي  .:.  replies: 2   ... Art-En.com ...   » مناقشة كتاب"Translation with Reference to English & Arabic"  .:. last poster: Jordan  .:.  replies: 124   ... Art-En.com ...   » المعرب و الدخيل و المولد ... تتمة  .:. last poster: aaahhhmad  .:.  replies: 6   ... Art-En.com ...   » تحميل ملف  .:. last poster: مصطفى العلي  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » The Best Short Stories of J.G. bialard The Terminal Beach  .:. last poster: المرعاش  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » هام للطلاب الي بيواجهوا صعوبه بمادة الصوتيا  .:. last poster: bassam93  .:.  replies: 16   ... Art-En.com ...   » مساعدة مشروع تخرج عن تراجيديات شكسبير  .:. last poster: ahmadaway  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » نتائج سنوات 2009 2010 2011  .:. last poster: أبو عمر  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » نتائج سنوات 2009 2010 2011  .:. last poster: أبو عمر  .:.  replies: 0

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Warning :
- In this section , you can write in English only ; writing in any other language is forbidden !!! :idea:

• Post subject: What is the figure of speech here? Share us
Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:52 pm 
مشرف موسوعة الأدب الانجليزي
Topics: 60
Department: Literature, Film, and Theatre
Grade: MA
I have no topics yet

Raghad,  
*good  *good  *good

Nice! Your answers are correct; but I'm not going to give you the prize because you did not give all the figures in the lines! :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Come on Artenians! There are at least 10 figures of speech here; of course some of them are repeated twice like the alliteration. I will not post another exam till I see your answers. At least try, even if ur answers are wrong, just try. 8)

"We are the choices we have made."

Top .:. Bottom

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:28 pm 
آرتيني مؤسس
آرتيني مؤسس
Topics: 94
Department: English Department
Grade: دبلوم ELT
I have no topics yet

Ala Al-Ibrahim,  
Quote:
I'm not going to give you the prize because you did not give all the figures in the lines!

:shock:  *plz  *plz  *hh

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:27 am 
آرتيني مؤسس
آرتيني مؤسس
Topics: 117
Department: ELT MA
I have no topics yet

Hello Dr. Ala Al-Ibrahim,  
It seems that  your students are too lazy  :oops:
Kindly excuse the delay. I can hardly find time to participate in my best section  :?

Well, I'll try to be a good student. The good news is that I've printed "The figures of speech" you mentioned and I read and studied till no 10  *sla It's a great achievement for a poor translation student to do so, right  :mrgreen:

Now before I go on studying the rest in order to be able to answer ur question. I'd like you to give us further explanation on no.4 "Apostrophe" Frankly I did not get it well. The rest of the 10 types are ok  8)  

Thanks in Advance

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:16 pm 
I have no topics yet

Raghad  :mrgreen:  Try again later  :mrgreen:

عبير  
Quote:
Hello Dr. Ala Al-Ibrahim

Say it once more and I'll believe myself to be so!!   :mrgreen:

Quote:
Kindly excuse the delay. I can hardly find time to participate in my best section

Of course I do not blame you; I think once I said that everyone has their own business and there is no need for apologizing if we do not find free time to participate.  :wink:

Quote:
The good news is that I've printed "The figures of speech" you mentioned and I read and studied till no 10   It's a great achievement for a poor translation student to do so, right

It is really great  *good  *good
Ok whenever you finish studying the figures you can post your answer to my first exam. I said that we can find at least 10 figures in quoted exam, but not all of them are explained in post No. 1.

Quote:
I'd like you to give us further explanation on no.4 "Apostrophe" Frankly I did not get it well. The rest of the 10 types are ok  

With Pleasure  :D

Simply, the word Apostrophe is connected with the word Addressing. Apostrophe occurs in two cases: 1- Either the poet addresses AN ABSENT or dead person who  isn't in front of him , or 2- addressing a thing, place, idea, or an abstract quality as if they were capable of understanding. So in Apostrophe the poet seems to have a conversation with the addressee. I will give you more examples:

Once I quoted the following line in my topic of Literary Quotations, by the great poet John Donne :

Death be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not so,

Here, death as we know is not a human being; but rather it is a concept, or thing. The poet speaks to it as if it is a real man. Notice that Donne uses 'thou' and 'thee' when he refers to it. So we have apostrophe in these two lines.

Another example,  from "Any Wife to Any Husband" by Browning:

My love, this is the bitterest, that thou
Who art all truth and who dost love me now
As thine eyes say, as thy voice breaks to say-

etc.

Here there is apostrophe  because the wife is addressing her husband.

Another example, a very very famous poem by Blake: "The Sick Rose"

O Rose, thou art sick!
The invisible worm
That flies in the night,
In the howling storm,

Has found out thy bed
Of crimson joy,
And his dark secret love
Does thy life destroy.

We have also apostrophe here; the poet treats the rose, regardless of what it represents, as a human being. He speaks to it as if it it can listen and understand him.
A Final example: in Wordswoth's LONDON 1812 :
Milton! Thou should'st be living at this hour . . .
Wordsworth is addressing a dead person, Milton, so it is apostrophe.
Abeer, did you get the point now? If not I'm ready to offer tens of examples. :)

God Bless You, Sister!

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:09 pm 
I have no topics yet

I just want to add something about "internal rhyme" :

Internal rhyme:

1. A rhyme created by two or more words in the same line of verse.
2. A rhyme created by words within two or more lines of a verse.

Now you can know all the figures of speech in my previous exam. :mrgreen:

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:01 am 
مشرفة قسم مهارات تطوير الذات
مشرفة قسم مهارات تطوير الذات
Topics: 64
Department: انجليزي
I have no topics yet

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
Do I heard any thing about Shawrma :shock:

everyone baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack :evil:

it's mine  :mrgreen:

okay Alaa I studed ur topic as if it is an exam *hhh
it"s great.... just lilke you *1

I'm now in love with this topic *plz  and sure that I'll read it as a lovely poem
and I can till you that somehow I admired the examples written here *قلب

espichially that one by e.e. cummings  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  for you mintioned him some time earlier 8)

any way.... and despite my bad unreadable :mrgreen:  English I can share you all and got the price too  *hh

but its still my first answer and I've to think more *ممم

•        First of all  :arrow: there is a hidden metaphor in resembling the presence of his beloved to the Sun… in a way that just like the effect of the sun on roses "to make them red" his lady's presence does *دلع .
•        And we could easily notice the repeation of the sound "z" in the first line as an Assonance, and there is an Alliteration  in rose and red *ممم .
•        Another Alliteration appeared in lilies' leaves :mrgreen: , and they sounds also like an Assonance.
•        A personification appeared  :idea: when the poet described the lilies' leaves as if they could envy or feel jealous which is a human characteristics related here to plants :roll: .
•        The description of her hands as white is direct :arrow: , but as a solid is embedded to be a metaphor.  
•        Another Assonance could be noticed in The marigold and abroad
•        And of course the whole rime between red, bred and spread; and shame and became :mrgreen: .

I know its some of them, but it's still hard to recognise them all while the main figures not sittled in my mind and heart yet. some of them related to highly rhetorical writtings.... and the lines here are quite simple :arrow: .

" a paradox *hhh " not able to catch them all and judging them -simple-  :mrgreen: .

but could any one please help me in capturing the deffirence between Litotes and Understatement  while having the same meaning ang the same definition :roll: . The same axample as well ;

"The grave's a fine and private place,
But none, I think, do there embrace."
(Andrew Marvell, "To His Coy Mistress")

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Ala Al-Ibrahim,  

I need it with alot of mayonezz please  :mrgreen:

Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:38 pm 
I have no topics yet

الملاك
Ya Welcome  :mrgreen:
I'm so happy to see your name here; and I'm so sorry for delaying this reply until now. I'm really sorry. :oops:
Ok, as for the shawrma, you deserve half a sandwich because you did not give all the figures in the previous lines. :mrgreen: But I will generous and give you one with a little maynezzzz :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Quote:
especially that one by e.e. cummings      for you mentioned him some time earlier

Look what e. e. cummings wrote:

love is more thicker than forget
more thinner than recall
more seldom than a wave is wet
more frequent than to fail

it is most mad and moonly
and less it shall unbe
than all the sea which only
is deeper than the sea

love is less always than to win
less never than alive
less bigger than the least begin
less littler than forgive

it is most sane and sunly
and more it cannot die
than all the sky which only
is higher than the sky

I quoted this poem in "Literary Works . . . And Quotations" with a small comment in post no. 130; here:
Sorry, you have to register to see the link If you are a member, just sign in

Quote:
any way.... and despite my bad unreadable   English I can share you all and got the price too

You're the most welcome, Al-Malaak  *1 I'm happy with your participation *1

Quote:
•        First of all   there is a hidden metaphor in resembling the presence of his beloved to the Sun… in a way that just like the effect of the sun on roses "to make them red" his lady's presence does  .

Good point, and this is right. This metaphor becomes clear in the last line, when the speaker directly says that his beloved's power is exactly like the sun's. So, we have a metaphor in the lines.  *good

Quote:
•        And we could easily notice the repeation of the sound "z" in the first line as an Assonance, and there is an Alliteration  in rose and red

My lady's presence makes the roses red,

Al-Malaak, in fact there is a repetition of the sound "s" not "Z": like in "presence-makes"; we call this figure an internal rhyme because the words rhyme together in the same line; so we have an internal rhyme in the first line. We have also, as you mentioned, an alliteration resulting from the repetition of the consonant "R" in beginning of the words "Roses-Red". So, we have two figures in the first line.

Quote:
•        Another Alliteration appeared in lilies' leaves  , and they sounds also like an Assonance.

The lilies' leaves for envy pale became,
Yes, you're right. There are an alliteration and an assonance in this line.  *good
Quote:
•        A personification appeared   when the poet described the lilies' leaves as if they could envy or feel jealous which is a human characteristics related here to plants.

Great!! The poet gave a human characteristic to the lilies' leaves, and this is called personification. *good
Quote:
•        The description of her hands as white is direct  , but as a solid is embedded to be a metaphor.

Well, let's see!
And her white hands in them this envy bred;
I think we have two personifications here. First he is saying that "her white hands" are like like a goddess, for example, who can breed something (envy). The second personification is in the word "envy". The word represents a concept, but here the speaker changes its meaning to mean something material (like a plant which is going to be bred). However, the meaning of the line is deep. It can be a metaphor also. :arrow:  *good

Quote:
•        Another Assonance could be noticed in The marigold and abroad

Right! There is an assonance here; there is also an internal rhyme. Both words end in the sound "o:d".

Ok, I can add to your answer the following:
Because to see her lips they blush for shame;
There is personification here; the roses "feel" shame, this is a human characteristic.
Because the sun's and her power is the same.
As I mentioned earlier, there is a clear metaphor here. The speaker is comparing his beloved to the son, and he says that both have the same power.
Another figure in the quotation is exaggeration or hyperbole. The speaker exaggerates in describing his beloved to emphasize her beauty. These are almost all the figures of speech in the quotation.
Thank you very much Al-Malaak. *1  You gave a great answer and you deserve a sandwich of Shawrma with a lot of maynez :mrgreen:

I will think of another exam soon, God Willing.  *1  *1  *1

Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:13 pm 
I have no topics yet

New Exam: 8)  :mrgreen:

Thomas Wayyat says:

I find no peace and all my war is done;
I fear and hope, I burne and freeze like ice.

What is/are the figure(s) of speech here?

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:55 pm 
I have no topics yet

Well Artenians, is it that difficult? Come on, let's see your answers. This exam is soooooo easy; all you have to do is trying.
Remember, there is a sandwich of shawrma to the winner :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  *1

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:18 pm 
I have no topics yet

Hint, notice the following words and then try to answer  :wink: