Welcome in Art-En For Learning Languages (^_^)
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:21 pm
Username : Remember me
Password :  
لوحة الإعلانات الإدارية

عذراً أخوتي .. تم إيقاف تسجيل الأعضاء الجدد في آرتين حتى إشعار آخر

Latest Posts

... Art-En.com ...   » لابدّ أن أستأذن الوطن .... نزار قباني *  .:. last poster: محمدابو حمود  .:.  replies: 4   ... Art-En.com ...   » لا يصلح العطار ما افسدة الدهر  .:. last poster: محمد الربيعي  .:.  replies: 2   ... Art-En.com ...   » مناقشة كتاب"Translation with Reference to English & Arabic"  .:. last poster: Jordan  .:.  replies: 124   ... Art-En.com ...   » المعرب و الدخيل و المولد ... تتمة  .:. last poster: aaahhhmad  .:.  replies: 6   ... Art-En.com ...   » تحميل ملف  .:. last poster: مصطفى العلي  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » The Best Short Stories of J.G. bialard The Terminal Beach  .:. last poster: المرعاش  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » هام للطلاب الي بيواجهوا صعوبه بمادة الصوتيا  .:. last poster: bassam93  .:.  replies: 16   ... Art-En.com ...   » مساعدة مشروع تخرج عن تراجيديات شكسبير  .:. last poster: ahmadaway  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » نتائج سنوات 2009 2010 2011  .:. last poster: أبو عمر  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » نتائج سنوات 2009 2010 2011  .:. last poster: أبو عمر  .:.  replies: 0

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Warning :
- In this section , you can write in English only ; writing in any other language is forbidden !!! :idea:

• Post subject: "Black and white" Not "White and black"
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:26 am 
آرتيني مؤسس
آرتيني مؤسس
Topics: 131
Department: ترجمي
Grade: الرابعة
I have no topics yet

Hi Abora I Know why but will never say it

we say the strong adjective
is that right?
 it is very important topic

Top .:. Bottom

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:02 pm 
آرتيني مؤسس
آرتيني مؤسس
Topics: 117
Department: ELT MA
I have no topics yet

A..R..W..A,  
Quote:
I don`t mind to talk more about cultural differences . It`s really interesting because it is not only words , but also an entire live
And we can also speak about Arab cultural differences among them selves and their differences with Western world  
I you agree with me we will start a nice project

*اي I do agree with you . I'll be really an interesting project. Shall you start ?

Tami,  
Welcome dear  *ورود

سحر,  
You are welcome  *1
Quote:
we say the strong adjective

Yes, it can be one more reason among the ones we've mentioned above   :wink:
Actually, there is no specific reason. It depends!

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:05 pm 
آرتيني فعّال
آرتيني فعّال
Topics: 16
Department: لغة انكليزية
Grade: taaheel tarbawi
I have no topics yet

Ok dear Abeer , I will start
I think that differences between cultures play a complementary role . So  every culture  complement and not clash  the other

From this point we have to say that in order to go through cultures and understand their words, ethics, and even their religions we have to take these differences into account and understand them fully

One of the differences between Arabs is the "dialect" and I think that it is really a serious problem when, for example,an Algerian talks,by your turn  you will not be able to understand him unless he speaks the standard Arabic

Well, here is some of  the differences between us and English:
In our cuture , when a student ties his hands it means that he is a polite boy while English people will consider this impolitness and impudence

When you use the word "God" in your speech many times , they will know that you are a stranger

Don`t raise your forfinger infront of them , they will consider you a terrorist

And.......don`t ask them about their salaries . It will be an impudent question

Use only logic , they will not understand you when speaking in an emotional way
*ورود  *ورود  *ورود

• Post subject: Black and white" Not "White and black"/Cultural differences"
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:37 pm 
آرتيني نشيط
آرتيني نشيط
Topics: 29
Department: English Literature
Grade: MA in Linguistics
I have no topics yet

Well, thanks for this idea.
I think it's due to cultural differences.
I have some more collocations here joint by ''and'':

Ice and lemon
Bread and butter
Thunder and lightning
Knife and fork
Bed and breakfast
Backwards and forwards

Those are joint by ''or'':

Right or wrong
Now or never
More or less
Sooner or later
All or nothing
Once or twice

عبير,  
Would you please write the meanings of the collocations you have given us in order to get the whole benifit of them, and next time I'll bring you the meanings of the collocations I just wrote.

See you, I am laaaaaaaaate for Al Joum3a Prayer. *خوف
Thank you all, and byeeeeeeeee

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:34 pm 
آرتيني مؤسس
آرتيني مؤسس
I have no topics yet

A..R..W..A,  
Very nice beginning.  *good
Quote:
One of the differences between Arabs is the "dialect"  

You've raised a very important issue which is "dialect" but before I provide some examples.
I'd like to show the difference between "Dialect" and "Accent".
"Dialect"is related to vocabulary, grammar and phonology that are different from one region to another.
"Accent" is only related to the varieties of speech sounds; the way of pronouncing words
Quote:
I think that it is really a serious problem when, for example,an Algerian talks,by your turn you will not be able to understand him unless he speaks the standard Arabic

Yes, sometimes I try hard to concentrate in order to understand what they are saying. I cannot say that it easy but at least I can get the meaning in general

Well, there is a nice example that shows the using of one word in different Arabic dialects which is "man" / "Ragol" in standard Arabic
In Syria, we say: "Zalamy". In Egypt, they say:"Ragel". In Sudan, they say: "Zol" . In UAE, they say "Rayyal" and many other different words according to the region.
Quote:
Well, here is some of the differences between us and English

Very nice examples. Thanks a lot
Now it's my turn:
There is a difference in greeting ways between us, the Arabs, and the English.
For example, when we meet a friend we shake hands and kiss each other cheeks. Then start asking "How are you?" "How is everything with you" How is your mum" How is your dad" "How is your...." :mrgreen: maybe we ask about members that we've never met before. That seems lovely and nice for us
In the contrary, English people raise their hands and say "Hi, Hello" then "How are you" no more no less.
If we apply the Arab way (asking about the person and their family) with an English person .It'll sound strang and a rude behaviour.  :?
In addition, the English way of greeting seem to us as a cold one  :| , because we are emotional.

One more difference is:
Do not ask about the phone number because that is a very private matter  

Husam,
You are welcome. Thanks for adding new examples especially the words that are joined by "or" very nice idea.
Quote:
Would you please write the meanings of the collocations you have given us in order to get the whole benifit of them, and next time I'll bring you the meanings of the collocations I just wrote.

Actually, there is no need to write the meanings of the collocations ;they are simple and clear

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:17 pm 
آرتيني فعّال
آرتيني فعّال
Topics: 16
Department: لغة انكليزية
Grade: taaheel tarbawi
I have no topics yet

عبير,  
I think that the case of being emotional or rational has been raised many times ; a thing which makes me raise a question
Why we "the Arabs" are emotinal and by their turn why "the English people" are direct
Is that some thing relates to the climate? or nature?
Which kind of behaviour is better ? Shall we seek a balance betwwen them?
I wish every body to participate and give us his point of view

*1  *1  *1

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:24 am 
آرتيني مؤسس
آرتيني مؤسس
I have no topics yet

A..R..W..A,  
Quote:
Is that some thing relates to the climate? or nature?

Yeah, exactly. It is said that the people of Mediterranean countries like the most of the Arab countries, Italy, Spain ...etc are hot-tempered and emotional. That's due to the Mediterranean climate.
We can realise the cultural differences through jokes themselves. For example, the English jokes are mmm let me say so cold and sometimes they seem to us a nonesence and vice versa

Quote:
Which kind of behaviour is better ? Shall we seek a balance betwwen them?

I think the best is to behave according to the situation itself without any exaggration, but always one's nature play a role in his/her behaviour