Welcome in Art-En For Learning Languages (^_^)
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:41 pm
Username : Remember me
Password :  
لوحة الإعلانات الإدارية

عذراً أخوتي .. تم إيقاف تسجيل الأعضاء الجدد في آرتين حتى إشعار آخر

Latest Posts

... Art-En.com ...   » لابدّ أن أستأذن الوطن .... نزار قباني *  .:. last poster: محمدابو حمود  .:.  replies: 4   ... Art-En.com ...   » لا يصلح العطار ما افسدة الدهر  .:. last poster: محمد الربيعي  .:.  replies: 2   ... Art-En.com ...   » مناقشة كتاب"Translation with Reference to English & Arabic"  .:. last poster: Jordan  .:.  replies: 124   ... Art-En.com ...   » المعرب و الدخيل و المولد ... تتمة  .:. last poster: aaahhhmad  .:.  replies: 6   ... Art-En.com ...   » تحميل ملف  .:. last poster: مصطفى العلي  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » The Best Short Stories of J.G. bialard The Terminal Beach  .:. last poster: المرعاش  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » هام للطلاب الي بيواجهوا صعوبه بمادة الصوتيا  .:. last poster: bassam93  .:.  replies: 16   ... Art-En.com ...   » مساعدة مشروع تخرج عن تراجيديات شكسبير  .:. last poster: ahmadaway  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » نتائج سنوات 2009 2010 2011  .:. last poster: أبو عمر  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » نتائج سنوات 2009 2010 2011  .:. last poster: أبو عمر  .:.  replies: 0

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Warning :
- In this section , you can write in English only ; writing in any other language is forbidden !!! :idea:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
  • Post subject: Literary Works... And Quotations!
Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:06 am 
آرتيني مؤسس
آرتيني مؤسس
Topics: 117
Department: ELT MA
I have no topics yet

Ala Al-Ibrahim,  
Quote:
Your new colour is also nice   I like blue very much

Thank you  :mrgreen:  It is not only nicer but also more comfortable  :P

Quote:
The sculptor, Michelangelo, was once asked how it was that he could create such beautiful works. "It's very simple," he answered. "When I look at a block of marble, I see the sculpture inside it.  All I have to do is remove what doesn't belong."
The master says: "There is a work of art each of us was destined to create. That is the central point of our life, and -- no matter how we try to deceive ourselves -- we know how important it is to our happiness.  Usually, that work of art is covered by years of fears, guilt and indecision.  But, if we decide to remove those things that do not belong, if we have no doubt as to our capability, we are capable of going forward with the mission that is our destiny.  That is the only way to live with honor."

There is no doubt that uncle Coelho's quotes  are meaningful and what you quote is really great.  *1  *good

Well,here is a new quote:

“If I should meet thee After long years, How should I greet thee? - With silence and tears”
Lord Byron

Top .:. Bottom

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:27 am 
آرتيني جديد
آرتيني جديد
Topics: 1
Department: ترجمة
Grade: رابعة
Name: سيما صباغ
I have no topics yet

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

Robert Frost

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:45 am 
مشرف موسوعة الأدب الانجليزي
Topics: 60
Department: Literature, Film, and Theatre
Grade: MA
I have no topics yet

I am sooooooooooooo sorry for this long absence. Prepare yourselves all, Odysseus is back. :mrgreen:  I think I said this sentence before :mrgreen:
Anyway, back to our GREAT topic.

عبير
Abeer I think you should have studied English LITERATURE instead of Translation. You are great in translation, but much GREATER in Literature.
You choose sayings that touch our souls. You do so well in this.
Quote:
If I should meet thee After long years, How should I greet thee? - With silence and tears”

I really DO agree with Byron. Sometimes Silence can express more than words. This is the nature of mankind. Tears are in fact nothing but words. A tear may mean that you are sooo happy, happy to the extent that you can not say a single word. On the other hand, A tear may mean that you are soooo sad; and you express your sadness through your tears. Then, Two contradictory things can be expressed through tears. Great Mr. Byron, you're so great.

Thank you Abeer  *1

ssima,  

Thank you for participating with us. You started with a great poet, and a great poem indeed. I think the title of the poem is "The Road Not Taken"; am I right?
Your choice of lines reflects that you do taste the beauty of literature. I think the poet speaks about his own past. This is what distinguishes The American Literature in general: the personality. The "I" in the American Literature is used frequently. I think this is good for the American Literature.
Thank you Miss, hoping to see new participations soon.  *1

New quotes,

"It is easier to suppress the first desire than to satisfy all that follow it."
by FRANKLIN

"There are two tragedies in life. One is not to get your heart's desire. The other is to get it."
by SHAW

"We are the choices we have made."

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:54 pm 
آرتيني جديد
آرتيني جديد
Department: اللغة الانكليزية
Grade: الثالثة
I have no topics yet

thank you my friends  *good

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:48 pm 
مشرفة قسم قواعد اللغة الإنجليزية
مشرفة قسم قواعد اللغة الإنجليزية
Topics: 39
Department: ترجمة/لغـة إنكليـزية
Grade: Graduated
I have no topics yet

Ala Al-Ibrahim,  *1  *1  

Quote:
Abeer I think you should have studied English LITERATURE instead of Translation.

*good  *good
Exactly  *ورود  !!! Ala I agree with you….because Translation (OLC) doesn't appreciate the smart students, I think it's better to close this branch, instead of killing the dreams of those few students who have great dreams.…really it becomes a mockery  :| !!!……I hope God to change this case.

Quote:

Your quotations are connected with each other, and both are just one wisdom, to prevent the desire of your heart, this means that you give the leadership to your brain, which will control your desire…this is painful, it is not easy to be controlled by your brain.
Your heart may lead you to commit sins, because it serves your desires, and your desires are temporary, and as we know that most  desires serve the current moment….and most desires don't take into  account the Future and it's results.

Quote:
"There are two tragedies in life. One is not to get your heart's desire. The other is to get it."

Do you know Ala, this quotation reminds me about a sentence in a play, some one asked his grandfather:" Grandfather, tell me, what's better to marry or not??" His grandfather laughed and answered him:" Oh dear!!! It's the same …you will be  repentant in the two cases."  :mrgreen:
Ok, here I can say that: To listen to the voice of your heart's desire, this will make you happy for moments, after that you will feel sorry for doing that. If you don't listen to the voice of your heart ….. ,the same result, you will feel sorry for preventing yourself to get the interesting of doing that.  :arrow:
thank you Ala  *1   :wink:

Here is mine:
"Patience, that blending of moral courage with physical timidity."
Thomas Hardy

When we are unable to find tranquillity within ourselves, it is useless to seek it elsewhere

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:29 pm 
مشرفة قسم Say It in English
مشرفة قسم Say It in English
Topics: 129
Department: اللغة الانكليزية
Grade: دبــلــوم
I have no topics yet

Ala Al-Ibrahim,  

Quote:
I am sooooooooooooo sorry for this long absence

Do not worry  *sla we forgive you  *hh  I'm joking  :wink:
Quote:
. Sometimes Silence can express more than words. This is the nature of mankind. Tears are in fact nothing but words. A tear may mean that you are sooo happy, happy to the extent that you can not say a single word. On the other hand, A tear may mean that you are soooo sad; and you express your sadness through your tears. Then, Two contradictory things can be expressed through tears. Great Mr. Byron, you're so great.

What you said is very nice brother  *1 :wink:  
While I was reading your words about tears and contradictory things , I remembered the clouds because we get so happy when we see the tears of clouds , and become so sad when we see the smile of clouds. :roll:
We can do nothing because life requires that .

My regards *1

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:23 am 
آرتيني متميّز
آرتيني متميّز
Topics: 173
Department: اللغة الإنكليزية
Grade: متخرج
Name: فادي حلواني
I have no topics yet

Hi all, I am here 
I ma very happy to post my participations in this great topic as my friend Ala' said before and because it is too. 

Today my quotation is from the great English writer and I think all of us know

him who is " the father of Tragedy" , as I called him, I'll quote from one of

his plays that is ( Othello ) one, it ends in very tragic way when Othello killed

his wife and killed himself too. By the way, we can not blame Othello because

his friend Iago gave him an evidence that his wife unfaithful to him. So, the

quote is saying by Iago to his master Othello

" O beware, my lord, of jealousy!
It is the green-eyed monster, which doth mock
The meat if feeds on, that cuckold lives in bliss
Who, certain of his fate, loves not his wronger;
But O, what damned minutes tells he o'er
Who dotes, yet doubts, suspects, yet strongly loves!"

So, as we see Iago here warns his master from jealousy by telling his that is is like a monster with two eyes .

So, do you think jealosy has a good advantages or not?
For me I think it does not..

Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:42 am 
مشرفة قسم مهارات تطوير الذات
مشرفة قسم مهارات تطوير الذات
Topics: 64
Department: انجليزي
I have no topics yet

Quote:
“If I should meet thee After long years, How should I greet thee? - With silence and tears”
Lord Byron

some words when utterd; take its way to the head, and some, to the heart. silence and tears heads to the heart.  But to make the words more great, put them in their right position..... and here "meeting thee" is the Position.

great qout Abeer *1

Quote:
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

Robert Frost

Robert Frost like his name...... worming the feelings with cold, ice, snow, and frost.
this poem is realy magnificent  *1

Quote:

its FRANKLIN's opinion :arrow:
I think its difficult to suppress the first desire, but satisfing it is the only way to know that there is something that follow it.  :arrow: or maybe evrything will follow it.   :roll:

Quote:

I agree, completly.

Quote:
"Patience, that blending of moral courage with physical timidity."

A difficult qout to be understood  :roll:

Quote:
" the father of Tragedy"

He is  :idea:

but I have some more tragedyes by Jane Austen

- The more I know of the world, the more I am convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love.

- It is not time or opportunity that is to determine intimacy; it is disposition alone. Seven years would be insufficient to make some people acquainted with each other, and seven days are more than enough for others.

two different qouts by the same great hand *1

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:54 pm 
Topics: 60
Department: Literature, Film, and Theatre
I have no topics yet

white angel

Ranaa

Quote:
Translation (OLC) doesn't appreciate the smart students

Unfortunately this is true. I hope that they appreciate those students in the near future. We can't do any thing, we can just hope!!!!!
Quote:
Your quotations are connected with each other, and both are just one wisdom, to prevent the desire of your heart, this means that you give the leadership to your brain, which will control your desire…this is painful, it is not easy to be controlled by your brain.
Your heart may lead you to commit sins, because it serves your desires, and your desires are temporary, and as we know that most  desires serve the current moment….and most desires don't take into  account the Future and it's results.

EXACTLY
The point is that if we give the leadership to either mind or heart we will suffer a lot. When we give the control to the mind we are in fact but previnting ourselves from "the joys" of the world; we will become something like 'machines'. On the other hand, when 'heart' alone becomes the controller of our personalities we will suffer the consequences of our deeds. Then what we need is just achieving balance between the heart and mind. And I think that this is really a difficult task. Only few people can do this.

Quote:
Oh dear!!! It's the same …you will be  repentant in the two cases

It seems a funny answer, but it is true  :mrgreen:
Ranaa   *1  *1

سيرين
Quote:
While I was reading your words about tears and contradictory things , I remembered the clouds because we get so happy when we see the tears of clouds , and become so sad when we see the smile of clouds.

You are thinking like a poet  :wink:
But do you really think that rain is nothing but tears?

حلواني
Quote:
O beware, my lord, of jealousy!
It is the green-eyed monster, which doth mock

Thank you Fadi for joyning us again here. You seem that you loke Othello very much. Is it your favourite?
As for your quote, yes I agree that jealousy is a monster. We all should give great attention in order not to be affected by 'him'.

Quote:
do you think jealosy has a good advantages or not?

It depends on the kind of jealousy. Jealousy becomes a lovely thing when it is a 'slight' one. But when it is so strong it becomes really like a monster who doesd his best to destroy the relationship between people.

الملاك

Quote:
some words when utterd; take its way to the head, and some, to the heart. silence and tears heads to the heart.

Nice to use the word "head" this way. Now you are a philosopher  :mrgreen:

Quote:
worming the feelings with cold, ice, snow, and frost

OXYMORON   8)
Nice comments  *1
Quote:
its FRANKLIN's opinion

And MINE as well  8)  *hh

Quote:
Quote:
" the father of Tragedy"

He is  

I couldn't get your point. Do agree or not? If you mean to ask like "is he?" then you disagree that Mr. Shake is the father of tragedy.  :arrow:

Quote:
but I have some more tragedyes by Jane Austen

Quote:
The more I know of the world, the more I am convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love.

*---  *---  *---

I don't agree  *hh  *hh

Quote:
Seven years would be insufficient to make some people acquainted with each other, and seven days are more than enough for others.

GREAT
I COMPLETELY AGREE with this

الملاك

Now my quotation for today is from Leviathan, by Thomas Hobbes

CHAPTER II
OF IMAGINATION

That when a thing lies still, unlesse somewhat els stirre it, it will lye still for ever, is a truth that no man doubts of. But that when a thing is in motion, it will eternally be in motion, unless somewhat els stay it, though the reason be the same, (namely, that nothing can change it selfe,) is not so easily assented to. For men measure, not onely other men, but all other things, by themselves: and because they find themselves subject after motion to pain, and lassitude, think every thing els growes weary of motion, and seeks repose of its own accord; little considering, whether it be not some other motion, wherein that desire of rest they find in themselves, consisteth. From hence it is, that the Schooles say, Heavy bodies fall downwards, out of an appetite to rest, and to conserve their nature in that place which is most proper for them; ascribing appetite, and Knowledge of what is good for their conservation, (which is more than man has) to things inanimate absurdly.
When a Body is once in motion, it moveth (unless something els hinder it) eternally; and whatsoever hindreth it, cannot in an instant, but in time, and by degrees quite extinguish it: And as wee see in the water, though the wind cease, the waves give not over rowling for a long time after; so also it happeneth in that motion, which is made in the internall parts of a man, then, when he Sees, Dreams, &c. For after the object is removed, or the eye shut, wee still retain an image of the thing seen, though more obscure than when we see it. And this is it, that Latines call Imagination, from the image made in seeing; and apply the same, though improperly, to all the other senses. But the Greeks call it Fancy; which signifies Apparence, and is as proper to one sense, as to another. Imagination therefore is nothing but Decaying Sense; and is found in men, and many other living Creatures, as well sleeping, as waking.
Memory The decay of Sense in men waking, is not the decay of the motion made in sense; but an obscuring of it, in such manner, as the light of the Sun obscureth the light of the Starres; which starrs do no less exercise their vertue by which they are visible, in the day, than in the night. But because amongst many stroaks, which our eyes, eares, and other organs receive from externall bodies, the predominant onely is sensible; therefore the light of the Sun being predominant, we are not affected with the action of the starrs. And any object being removed from our eyes, though the impression it made in us remain; yet other objects more present succeeding, and working on us, the Imagination of the past is obscured, and made weak; as the voyce of a man is in the noyse of the day. From whence it followeth, that the longer the time is, after the sight, or Sense of any object, the weaker is the Imagination. For the continuall change of mans body, destroyes in time the parts which in sense were moved: So that the distance of time, and of place, hath one and the same effect in us. For as at a distance of place, that which wee look at, appears dimme, and without distinction of the smaller parts; and as Voyces grow weak, and inarticulate: so also after great distance of time, our imagination of the Past is weak; and wee lose( for example) of Cities wee have seen, many particular Streets; and of Actions, many particular Circumstances. This Decaying Sense, when wee would express the thing it self, (I mean Fancy it selfe,) wee call Imagination, as I said before; But when we would express the Decay, and signifie that the Sense is fading, old, and past, it is called Memory. So that Imagination and Memory, are but one thing, which for divers considerations hath divers names

PHILOSOPHY  :mrgreen:

"We are the choices we have made."

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:16 pm 
مشرف قسم الترجمة في الانجليزية
مشرف قسم الترجمة في الانجليزية
Topics: 226
Department: English
Grade: Graduated
I have no topics yet

“I lived in solitude in the country and noticed how the monotony of a quiet life stimulates the creative mind” Albert Einstein

this is really introduces us to the benefits of solitude.
I really love to read quotations, and everyday I read about at least 6 various ones.
Thank you :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next