Welcome in Art-En For Learning Languages (^_^)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:56 am
Username : Remember me
Password :  
لوحة الإعلانات الإدارية

عذراً أخوتي .. تم إيقاف تسجيل الأعضاء الجدد في آرتين حتى إشعار آخر

Latest Posts

... Art-En.com ...   » لابدّ أن أستأذن الوطن .... نزار قباني *  .:. last poster: محمدابو حمود  .:.  replies: 4   ... Art-En.com ...   » لا يصلح العطار ما افسدة الدهر  .:. last poster: محمد الربيعي  .:.  replies: 2   ... Art-En.com ...   » مناقشة كتاب"Translation with Reference to English & Arabic"  .:. last poster: Jordan  .:.  replies: 124   ... Art-En.com ...   » المعرب و الدخيل و المولد ... تتمة  .:. last poster: aaahhhmad  .:.  replies: 6   ... Art-En.com ...   » تحميل ملف  .:. last poster: مصطفى العلي  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » The Best Short Stories of J.G. bialard The Terminal Beach  .:. last poster: المرعاش  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » هام للطلاب الي بيواجهوا صعوبه بمادة الصوتيا  .:. last poster: bassam93  .:.  replies: 16   ... Art-En.com ...   » مساعدة مشروع تخرج عن تراجيديات شكسبير  .:. last poster: ahmadaway  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » نتائج سنوات 2009 2010 2011  .:. last poster: أبو عمر  .:.  replies: 0   ... Art-En.com ...   » نتائج سنوات 2009 2010 2011  .:. last poster: أبو عمر  .:.  replies: 0

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Warning :
- In this section , you can write in English only ; writing in any other language is forbidden !!! :idea:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
  • Post subject: Literary Works... And Quotations!
Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:30 am 
آرتيني متميّز
آرتيني متميّز
Topics: 173
Department: اللغة الإنكليزية
Grade: متخرج
Name: فادي حلواني
I have no topics yet

Yes Ala'a I like it so much
My qute is so nice I have read about LOVE
((O love is the croocked thing
there is nobody wise enough
to find out all is in it"
W.B.Yeats
"

Top .:. Bottom

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:45 pm 
مشرف موسوعة الأدب الانجليزي
Topics: 60
Department: Literature, Film, and Theatre
Grade: MA
I have no topics yet

Obada Arwany  
Quote:
“I lived in solitude in the country and noticed how the monotony of a quiet life stimulates the creative mind” Albert Einstein

حلواني
Quote:
O love is the croocked thing
there is nobody wise enough
to find out all is in it

I will repeat my previous quote in this new page because it says something about "fancy",imagination" and "memory":

CHAPTER II
OF IMAGINATION

That when a thing lies still, unlesse somewhat els stirre it, it will lye still for ever, is a truth that no man doubts of. But that when a thing is in motion, it will eternally be in motion, unless somewhat els stay it, though the reason be the same, (namely, that nothing can change it selfe,) is not so easily assented to. For men measure, not onely other men, but all other things, by themselves: and because they find themselves subject after motion to pain, and lassitude, think every thing els growes weary of motion, and seeks repose of its own accord; little considering, whether it be not some other motion, wherein that desire of rest they find in themselves, consisteth. From hence it is, that the Schooles say, Heavy bodies fall downwards, out of an appetite to rest, and to conserve their nature in that place which is most proper for them; ascribing appetite, and Knowledge of what is good for their conservation, (which is more than man has) to things inanimate absurdly.
When a Body is once in motion, it moveth (unless something els hinder it) eternally; and whatsoever hindreth it, cannot in an instant, but in time, and by degrees quite extinguish it: And as wee see in the water, though the wind cease, the waves give not over rowling for a long time after; so also it happeneth in that motion, which is made in the internall parts of a man, then, when he Sees, Dreams, &c. For after the object is removed, or the eye shut, wee still retain an image of the thing seen, though more obscure than when we see it. And this is it, that Latines call Imagination, from the image made in seeing; and apply the same, though improperly, to all the other senses. But the Greeks call it Fancy; which signifies Apparence, and is as proper to one sense, as to another. Imagination therefore is nothing but Decaying Sense; and is found in men, and many other living Creatures, as well sleeping, as waking.
Memory The decay of Sense in men waking, is not the decay of the motion made in sense; but an obscuring of it, in such manner, as the light of the Sun obscureth the light of the Starres; which starrs do no less exercise their vertue by which they are visible, in the day, than in the night. But because amongst many stroaks, which our eyes, eares, and other organs receive from externall bodies, the predominant onely is sensible; therefore the light of the Sun being predominant, we are not affected with the action of the starrs. And any object being removed from our eyes, though the impression it made in us remain; yet other objects more present succeeding, and working on us, the Imagination of the past is obscured, and made weak; as the voyce of a man is in the noyse of the day. From whence it followeth, that the longer the time is, after the sight, or Sense of any object, the weaker is the Imagination. For the continuall change of mans body, destroyes in time the parts which in sense were moved: So that the distance of time, and of place, hath one and the same effect in us. For as at a distance of place, that which wee look at, appears dimme, and without distinction of the smaller parts; and as Voyces grow weak, and inarticulate: so also after great distance of time, our imagination of the Past is weak; and wee lose( for example) of Cities wee have seen, many particular Streets; and of Actions, many particular Circumstances. This Decaying Sense, when wee would express the thing it self, (I mean Fancy it selfe,) wee call Imagination, as I said before; But when we would express the Decay, and signifie that the Sense is fading, old, and past, it is called Memory. So that Imagination and Memory, are but one thing, which for divers considerations hath divers names

Now new quotes:

"The artist does not see things as they are, but as he is."
Alfred Tonnelle

"The nearer we come to great men the more clearly we see that they are only men. They rarely seem great to their valets."
La Bruyere

"The great are only great because we carry them on our shoulders; when we throw them off they spawl on the ground."
Montandre

"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em."
Shakespeare

"The great are great only because we are our knees. Let us rise!"
Stirner

"We are the choices we have made."

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:11 am 
آرتيني متميّز
آرتيني متميّز
Topics: 173
Department: اللغة الإنكليزية
Grade: متخرج
Name: فادي حلواني
I have no topics yet

Wow I really like your words Alaa

My new quote to the same poet Yeats

" Never give all the heart, for love
Will hardly seem worth thinking of
That it fades out from kiss to kiss
For everything that is lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight
O never give the heart outright
For they,for all smooth lips can say
Have given their hearts up to the play
And who could play it well enough
He that made this knows all the cost
"

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:56 pm 
I have no topics yet

حلواني

You are progressing quickly my friend Fadi  *1  *1

Nice words  *1  *1

I have two quotes for today  *sla

The mind has a thousand eyes,
And the heart but one;
Yet the light of a whole lifedies
When love is done

F. W. Bourdillon

Faith is to believe what you do not see; and the reward of this faith is to see what we believed.  *sla  *sla
ST. AUGUSTINE

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:23 am 
I have no topics yet

"We are healed of a suffering only by experiencing it to the full."  Proust

"I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us."  Romans. VIII.18

"Pain and pleasure, like light and darkness, succeed each other." Sterne

Nothing begins, and nothing ends,
That is not paid with moan;
For we are born in others' pain,
and perish in our own.

Francis Thompson

Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:36 pm 
مشرفة قسم قواعد اللغة الإنجليزية
مشرفة قسم قواعد اللغة الإنجليزية
Topics: 39
Department: ترجمة/لغـة إنكليـزية
Grade: Graduated
I have no topics yet

Odysseus,  
Welcome back to this "Important" topic, it lost its members!!  :)
However, I would like to comment on three of your quotations,
This is the first:

And the heart but one;
When love is done.
F. W. Bourdillon

I like this: "mind has a thousand eyes" *ممم , I think this due to the way which our brain depends on. I mean that mind's way in thinking takes into account others' ways in thinking too, so the last decision gathers the others' point of views. "this is the practical way of thinking"  :idea:

While the heart way, depends only on one's point of view :? , and usually ignores others…"this way of course doesn't agree with logic of life  8) ."
I will explain the second point of this quotation from my own observation ^^.
I think that love comes in unexpected time. So, this leads to this fact: when world becomes a dark jail, the love will appear to you as a white bird to save you.
-------------------------------

"I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us."  Romans. VIII.18

Real, it is a fact …. :|
The glory in us is as gold or diamond  *hh , this diamond is deeply underground, and "the only way" to get it, or discover it,  is to depend on harsh ways  :!: . The "harsh ways" represent "the sufferings". notice that "glory" comes together with "suffering". :idea:

I believe that you can discover the kind of his/her diamond only through "sufferings" or "harsh ways"…. *ممم
---------------------------------------------

"Pain and pleasure, like light and darkness, succeed each other." Sterne

This is a fact also …..I cannot remember any successful man without pain  *plz . Here I can remember a proverb which says: "Painful beginnings form the bright endings."  :wink:
If we take a look on famous men throughout the history, we will find a lot of pains and sufferings.  *---
Here I want to say that "Pain" has an effective point on our life, this point is: the "Pain" will save your feelings to be alive, these feelings make you a "True Human Being".  *hh

You don't deserve to be a "Human" without "Pain". :arrow:

Thank you Ala.  *1

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:24 am 
I have no topics yet

Ranaa

First of all, congratulations! You are now a supervisor in art-en. Good Luck with your job.

Secondly, I am happy to read your nice comment here. I missed such comments in this topic.  *1

Good choice! The lines you've chosen are really important.  *1

Quote:
And the heart but one;
When love is done.

Quote:
mind's way in thinking takes into account others' ways in thinking too, so the last decision gathers the others' point of views.

*good
Yeah . . . exactly!
The keyword here is "eyes", which stands for "views". So when we use our minds, we consider all cases, pros and cons; and the poet employed the word "thousand" here to emphasize the plurality of views when it comes to the using of "Mind". The heart, on the other hand, is connected with feelings. I can't, for example, hate and love a certain thing  AT THE SAME TIME. I either love or hate it; while I can look at 'this thing' through different perspectives. Thus, heart is used here to emphasize the 'singleness'.

Quote:
When love is done.

Quote:
think that love comes in unexpected time. So, this leads to this fact: when world becomes a dark jail, the love will appear to you as a white bird to save you.

Nice explanation!

If you notice, this stanza is about the most important extremes in life: mind and heart. The poet simply adopts the view that heart is much important than the mind. He offers an equation: Mind has 1000 eyes, but heart has only 1 eye. So the mind would get the light from those 1000 eyes. The irony here is that those 1000 eyes will be useless if the heart's EYE dies: with its 'death' the 1000 eyes of the mind 'die' as well. So it is clear that what the speaker wants to say that our mind is nothing without our heart.

Quote:
The "harsh ways" represent "the sufferings". Notice that "glory" comes together with "suffering".

Yeas, a nice observation! Nothing can be gained without paying its price!

Quote:
You don't deserve to be a "Human" without "Pain".

:)
If you read another quotation mentioned here:
Quote:
For we are born in others' pain,
and perish in our own.

From the very beginning of our lives we cause pain to others (mothers). This is the course of life . . mothers will suffer . . after that they will become happy with their child . The price of this happiness the pain at the moment of birth.

Thank you Rana for your brilliant addition to this topic.  *1

I was reading Beowulf last night -I was forced to read it because I had to discuss a chosen passage in front of my colleagues here in Essex Univ. :mrgreen:  - and I liked a certain passage:

"When it comes to fighting, I count myself
As dangerous any day as Grendel.
So it won't be a cutting edge I'll wield
to mow him down, easily as I might.
He has no idea of the
arts of war,
of shield or sword-play, although he does possess
a wild strength. No weapons, therefore,
for either this night: unarmed he shall face me
if face me he dares. and may the Divine Lord
in His wisdom grant the glory of victory
to whichever side He sees fit."

Said by Beowulf - translated from the anglo-saxon by Seamus Heaney

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:45 pm 
آرتيني فعّال
آرتيني فعّال
Topics: 29
Grade: رابعة
I have no topics yet

The fountains mingle with the river,
And the rivers with the ocean;
The winds of heaven mix forever,
With a sweet emotion;
Nothing in the world is single;
All things by a law divine
In one another's being mingle;--
Why not I with thine?
See! the mountains kiss high heaven,
And the waves clasp one another;
No sister flower would be forgiven,
If it disdained it's brother;
And the sunlight clasps the earth,
And the moonbeams kiss the sea;--
What are all these kissings worth,
If thou kiss not me?

Persy Shelley

Fill my fond heart with God alone, for he
Alone can rival, can succeed to thee.

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:24 am 
I have no topics yet

Nawal8q

Nawal, believe it or not, this is one of the best quotes throughout this topic. I liked the poem so much. I adore this type of poetry. Thank you very much for your choice!!

Quote:
Nothing in the world is single;
All things by a law divine
In one another's being mingle;--
Why not I with thine?

Really Great! Thank you again  *1
Please go on. Whenever you find something like this poem just post it here. My aim of this topic was to discover 'pearls of literature'.

I have a nice quote, in the realm of criticism:

"For New Critics, poetic language cannot be translated into or reduced to prose statements. We cannot simply boil down Keat's poem to a few nuclear statements about life and death [ Selden is speaking about Keats' poem "Ode to a Nightingale"]. To do so is to remove all the poetic texture, which is not their simply to ornament the prose core of meaning but to convey the poet's realisation of a complex human response to life. In other words, to paraphrase a poem is to be guilty of a critical heresy."

from: Practising Theory and Reading Literature: An Introduction by Raman Selden

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:07 am 
آرتيني مؤسس
آرتيني مؤسس
Topics: 117
Department: ELT MA
I have no topics yet

Hello there!
Odysseus,   Ranaa,   Nawal8q,  and all readers of this topic. *1

I'm here again  *sla. I always keep an eye on this great topic.  *اي  

Odysseus,
Quote:
"For New Critics, poetic language cannot be translated into or reduced to prose statements. We cannot simply boil down Keat's poem to a few nuclear statements about life and death [ Selden is speaking about Keats' poem "Ode to a Nightingale"]. To do so is to remove all the poetic texture, which is not their simply to ornament the prose core of meaning but to convey the poet's realisation of a complex human response to life. In other words, to paraphrase a poem is to be guilty of a critical heresy."

That's one of the reasons why literally translation, poetry in particular, is one of the most difficult and controversial translation fields. Every langauage has its own style and culture so in any pieces of "poetry"  translation there must be a loss.

I hope that I get this quote properly.  :mrgreen:

I'd like to start again with one of my favourite novels Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. Actually there are plenty of great quotes in this novel so I'll concentrate in my comming participations on it. It will be great if we share our best quotes of this novel together here. *1  We may discuss them here as well.

Sense will always have attractions for me.
Sense and Sensibility
Elinor, Chapter 10

She was stronger alone; and her own good sense so well supported her, that her firmness was as unshaken, her appearance of cheerfulness as invariable, as, with regrets so poignant and so fresh, it was possible for them to be.
Sense and Sensibility
Describing Elinor, Chapter 23.

All the best
*1  *1  *1

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next