أهلا بك زائرنا الكريم في منتديات آرتين لتعليم اللغات (^_^)
اليوم هو الخميس نيسان 25, 2024 9:49 ص
اسم المستخدم : الدخول تلقائياً
كلمة المرور :  
لوحة الإعلانات الإدارية

عذراً أخوتي .. تم إيقاف تسجيل الأعضاء الجدد في آرتين حتى إشعار آخر

آخر المشاركات

... آرتين ...   » لابدّ أن أستأذن الوطن .... نزار قباني *  .:. آخر رد: محمدابو حمود  .:.  الردود: 4   ... آرتين ...   » لا يصلح العطار ما افسدة الدهر  .:. آخر رد: محمد الربيعي  .:.  الردود: 2   ... آرتين ...   » مناقشة كتاب"Translation with Reference to English & Arabic"  .:. آخر رد: Jordan  .:.  الردود: 124   ... آرتين ...   » المعرب و الدخيل و المولد ... تتمة  .:. آخر رد: aaahhhmad  .:.  الردود: 6   ... آرتين ...   » تحميل ملف  .:. آخر رد: مصطفى العلي  .:.  الردود: 0   ... آرتين ...   » The Best Short Stories of J.G. bialard The Terminal Beach  .:. آخر رد: المرعاش  .:.  الردود: 0   ... آرتين ...   » هام للطلاب الي بيواجهوا صعوبه بمادة الصوتيا  .:. آخر رد: bassam93  .:.  الردود: 16   ... آرتين ...   » مساعدة مشروع تخرج عن تراجيديات شكسبير  .:. آخر رد: ahmadaway  .:.  الردود: 0   ... آرتين ...   » نتائج سنوات 2009 2010 2011  .:. آخر رد: أبو عمر  .:.  الردود: 0   ... آرتين ...   » نتائج سنوات 2009 2010 2011  .:. آخر رد: أبو عمر  .:.  الردود: 0

جميع الأوقات تستخدم GMT + ساعتين [ DST ]

إرسال موضوع جديد الرد على الموضوع  [ 21 مشاركة ]  الانتقال إلى صفحة السابق  1, 2, 3  التالي
الكاتب رسالة
  • عنوان المشاركة: Problems in teaching & learning English in Syria
مرسل: الخميس تموز 22, 2010 4:43 م 
آرتيني مؤسس
آرتيني مؤسس
اشترك في: 02 آذار 2007
المواضيع: 94
المشاركات: 4047
المكان: Hama
القسم: English Department
السنة: دبلوم ELT
لا يوجد لدي مواضيع بعد

:: أنثى ::

غير متصل

سيرين,  
اقتباس:
We need to improve our pronunciation and to do this we should  have means , we have to try to speak English more  , we have to have an addition courses for conversations .

Actually, the problem of pronunciation, as I said before, should be taken into account by the teachers themselves. Teachers should improve their pronunciation in order to teach their students the right pronunciation of the words and to make them understand what they hear well. In this case they can speak fluently without constraints. But unfortunately, some teachers mispronounce some words, even the simple words and, consequently, students learn from them the wrong accent  :?
Also, there are some teachers from other fields who take the responsibility of teaching English at schools.  :?  :?
Reading  before listening also is another factor for mispronunciation because students may pronounce some words as they are written without recognizing that there are some exceptions or that these sounds are pronounced this way.  :|
Actually I have a lot of ideas about the problem of pronunciation and how to try to deal with it .. but I will explain more later  :wink:

اقتباس:
Pupils used to say : " English is too difficult , we hate this subject and its teachers " they say a lot , but they do nothing  in order to understand

They say like that because they learn the new language in a way that they dislike  :wink: Teachers used to teach in the traditional way and as we know at this time students hate everything traditional .. If teachers try to think to teach in a way that they think their students like, everything will change  :wink:
Teaching through games is a very effective method for our students .. Nowadays we have thousands of games for each level and age in some websites which facilitate for the teachers the burden of thinking  :mrgreen: The only thing teachers can do is to surf the net and find an interesting and useful game for his students and he will see the benefits  :wink:

Thank you darling for your participation  *ورود

pure rose,  
اقتباس:
Thank you dear Raghad for this nice topic.

You are the most welcome darling  *sla
اقتباس:
Actually the cassette that comes with the coursebook can solve this problem because it is done by native speakers.

You are right .. and teachers have to listen to these cassettes because they are the main source for them before entering the class .. but as you mentioned not all of teachers deal with this thing seriously  :? They think that they have good pronunciation and listening to these cassettes is just a wasting of time  :?

اقتباس:
I think that the teacher,at the beginning of the year, must copy the cassette and give each student a copy. If students try to practise listening at home before taking each lesson , it will be very good.

*good that's what should be done .. However, if teachers can't do this, because as we know it will be cost, they can do the listening exercises at school with the students  :wink: They should focus on the listening skill because it is like the other skills. Most teachers ignore the exercises which have the cassette sign next to it, and when a student asks about it they shut him up! :?  The only exercises that are given to students are either the writing ones or the grammar focus ones.  *---
Thank you for your participation  *ورود  *ورود  *ورود  :wink:

أعلى .:. أسفل
 يشاهد الملف الشخصي  

مرسل: الجمعة تموز 23, 2010 8:30 م 
آرتيني متميّز
آرتيني متميّز
صورة العضو الشخصية
اشترك في: 01 آذار 2007
المواضيع: 173
المشاركات: 3442
المكان: الحســـــكة
القسم: اللغة الإنكليزية
السنة: متخرج
الاسم: فادي حلواني
لا يوجد لدي مواضيع بعد

:: ذكر ::

غير متصل
Very nice topic Raghad I like it so much and I am reading every participation and your reply on it.. Thank you again Raghad

يشاهد الملف الشخصي  

مرسل: الجمعة تموز 23, 2010 11:31 م 
آرتيني مؤسس
آرتيني مؤسس
لا يوجد لدي مواضيع بعد

غير متصل

حسامي,  
اقتباس:
 I guess this topic covers a wide spectrum of problems.  I find it necessary to limit down the scope of tackling it to avoid over-generalization.

you are right .. but we have to try to discuss as many problems as we can  :wink: and I'm happy with these great participations from great members  :P  
Actually I like the way you mentioned your ideas  :wink: .. You mentioned a very sensitive point which was about age.  *1
If we want to consider “age” as a factor, it is hard not to mention Krashen’s clear distinction between the younger learners and the older ones: “adults and older children in general initially acquire the second language faster than young children (older-is-better for rate of acquisition) but child second language acquirers will usually be superior in terms of ultimate attainment (younger-is-better in the long run).”

اقتباس:
Teaching English for children in elementary schools is a little bit tough since it includes classroom management which is still a difficult technique for teachers - even the experienced

Many researchers argue about this point and there is still a conflict about that. Most people argue that younger students are more apt to learn languages and maybe that is due to the “plasticity of a young brain”  :| They are enthusiastic for learning and their “curiosity” to discover the world around them also helps a lot. Some teachers find it difficult to teach young children because they need individual attention from their teacher. Thus good teachers should encourage learners to get information from a variety of sources, and work with them individually and in groups and have flexibility in moving from one exercise to another.  :wink:

اقتباس:
Teenage is characterized with a turbulent mood often very temporary which affects the performance.  It is a time of delinquency and when things go from bad to worse a time of crime.

In my opinion, Adolescents or teenagers is the most difficult period when it comes to teaching  :? because as you mentioned above they have a  turbulent mood which some teachers don't know how to deal with  :? ....... Most of them, if not all, seek “individual identity”, and they try hard to get their peers’ attention by their doings whether positive or negative  :?  :?  they may be disruptive in class which may happen when they are trying to get their “self-esteem and peer approval”  :!:
Thus, it is teacher’s responsibility to involve them in the learning process, and to get use of their energy and enthusiasm when doing something they like, “teenagers if they are engaged have a great capacity to learn, a great potential for creativity, and a passionate commitment to things which interest them.” So teachers can involve students in classroom materials and in the same time pay attention that s/he is still preserving their self- esteem and individuality of identity  :wink:

اقتباس:
Actually, adults have their educational problems but the teacher is at least still dealing with mature members of society not clowns behind desks.

I like your point here  *ورود dealing with adults is different from dealing with children or teenagers .. they often have a clear understanding of why they are learning this new language and there is also a kind of indirect competition among them to be superiors :wink:

اقتباس:
Childhood and teenage are very delicate periods and frankly I personally -given the choice- don't like to take part in this.  I prefer the students of the next age group, adults

Well .. this sentence attracts my attention  :mrgreen: of course this is your opinion and I respect it  *ورود  but I want to ask you a question    :)   If you are teaching adults and their background is not good .. I mean they are not educated enough because, for example, they didn't have qualified teachers, good environment, ... etc. Can you deal with such students easily? Do you prefer, in this case specifically, to teach young children instead of them? :?:  :roll:

I'm waiting for your comment and I'm really happy with your great participation  *ورود  *ورود

يشاهد الملف الشخصي  

مرسل: السبت تموز 24, 2010 2:11 ص 
آرتيني مشارك
آرتيني مشارك
اشترك في: 18 شباط 2009
المواضيع: 15
المشاركات: 197
المكان: Magic Kingdom
لا يوجد لدي مواضيع بعد

غير متصل

Raghad كتب:
If you are teaching adults and their background is not good .. I mean they are not educated enough because, for example, they didn't have qualified teachers, good environment, ... etc. Can you deal with such students easily? Do you prefer, in this case specifically, to teach young children instead of them?

Allow me to make it crystal clear I don't intend to discredit universal facts on language acquisition and even learning acknowledged by scholars.  I'm just trying as a teacher to keep a sense of balance between job requirements and personal preferences.

Teaching kids or teens requires a considerable degree of classroom management which usually badly affects time management and eventually the actual time devoted to teaching-learning.  From a social perspective, adults are basically known for self-discipline which is supportive to the learning-teaching process.  Usually but not always classroom management is mastered at the expense of time management. It follows that less classroom management means more time available in the hands of the teacher.  Actually, I prefer any class which requires less classroom management.  

The level of students matters for me; it is accurately determined with a placement test and of course the higher the level is the easier for me.  Adult students of poor level may be difficult to teach but easy to deal with.  In contrast, if teens or kids are of poor level, it adds fuel to the fire: more teaching and more classroom management.  This is the point.  Finally, there are some techniques which could be used to teach adult students of poor level in particular and students in general which we could cover if you like.

Salam...

Juvenal

يشاهد الملف الشخصي  

مرسل: الجمعة تموز 30, 2010 5:10 م 
آرتيني مؤسس
آرتيني مؤسس
لا يوجد لدي مواضيع بعد

غير متصل

حسامي,  
I'd like to say that your comments and replies are really valuable  *1
اقتباس:
I'm just trying as a teacher to keep a sense of balance between job requirements and personal preferences.

Yes, of course and I appreciate that  :wink: .. Teaching a new language is not easy as some people claim, we have to do our best in order to be content of ourselves and try each difficult step .. we have to practice and learn from our own mistakes  *1 ..
I like your comment about classroom management  :wink

يشاهد الملف الشخصي  

مرسل: الجمعة تموز 30, 2010 5:11 م 
آرتيني مؤسس
آرتيني مؤسس
لا يوجد لدي مواضيع بعد

غير متصل

OK guys .. where are your comments??  *hh Who has other problems to mention and discuss?  :)  ...

OK. I want your opinion about this point  :wink:  
Some teachers are used to speak Arabic for almost all the time and speak English for about just 20% because their main interest is to let the students understand what they are teaching them  :roll: What do you think ??  *1

يشاهد الملف الشخصي  

مرسل: السبت تموز 31, 2010 10:49 م 
آرتيني نشيط
آرتيني نشيط
صورة العضو الشخصية
اشترك في: 10 حزيران 2009
المواضيع: 25
المشاركات: 594
القسم: English Literature
لا يوجد لدي مواضيع بعد

غير متصل

اقتباس:
Some teachers are used to speak Arabic for almost all the time and speak English for about just 20% because their main interest is to let the students understand what they are teaching them   What do you think ??  

I think some teachers feel themselves obliged to speak most of the time in  Arabic. That's because of the low level of their students. Indeed, it’s a big problem in our schools; as we see, the majority of the teachers in First Stages explain the lessons in Arabic, and students grow up on this way of learning. From the first stages students suffer from low input in English, so teachers cannot come in intermediate nor even advanced stages and speak in English. The informational basis of students is poor, so they cannot build up extra knowledge all at once.

On the other hand, we still read in books that teacher should explain English in English, and that enhances the students’ knowledge of this language. For instance, when a teacher explains a literary text in En, students will also get benefits in pronunciation; such students will improve their skills in listening, reading and speaking far better than students who learn English via Arabic. It sounds good, yet the question to which I didn’t find an answer is what to do in an unreliable educational system as ours? What should I do when I, as a teacher in secondary school, face students who don’t “know” En and I have to speak to them in it? Can I teach them the skills that they must have been learned from their first stages?

*1 Raghad............

وَمَا يُلَقَّـاهَـا إِلَّا الَّذِينَ صَـبَرُوا وَمَا يُلَقَّاهَا إِلَّا ذُو حَـظٍّ عَظِيمٍ

يشاهد الملف الشخصي  

مرسل: السبت تموز 31, 2010 11:34 م 
آرتيني متميّز
آرتيني متميّز
صورة العضو الشخصية
اشترك في: 01 آذار 2007
المواضيع: 173
المشاركات: 3442
المكان: الحســـــكة
القسم: اللغة الإنكليزية
السنة: متخرج
الاسم: فادي حلواني
لا يوجد لدي مواضيع بعد

غير متصل
I think some teachers follow this style of teaching because some students do not understand some grammers and meaning of vocabularies, in my opinion, I think it is somehow good way of teaching and it has many benifets like it allows students like the subject...

يشاهد الملف الشخصي  

مرسل: الخميس آب 05, 2010 2:03 ص 
آرتيني مؤسس
آرتيني مؤسس
لا يوجد لدي مواضيع بعد

غير متصل

أندلسية,  
I liked your comments  *ورود  Thanx

اقتباس:
I think some teachers feel themselves obliged to speak most of the time in  Arabic. That's because of the low level of their students. Indeed, it’s a big problem in our schools; as we see, the majority of the teachers in First Stages explain the lessons in Arabic, and students grow up on this way of learning.

Actually that's what's happening in our schools  :? Teachers think that if they explain the lessons or the grammatical rules in the mother tongue, students will understand what teachers are saying and thus it will make less effort when it comes to speak in Arabic. However, this is a big  problem  and a negative way that teachers think of  *---
Why don't we consider that our students are good ? .. Why do we let them get used of this way of teaching English? ..  :roll: We should consider that students follow the way that their teacher follows; especially the young students. When teachers speak in the target language, they will get used of this way and will be, unconsciously, obliged to understand what's going on.  *1

اقتباس:
yet the question to which I didn’t find an answer is what to do in an unreliable educational system as ours? What should I do when I, as a teacher in secondary school, face students who don’t “know” En and I have to speak to them in it? Can I teach them the skills that they must have been learned from their first stages?

A very good question  *good
First of all I'd like to mention a point that should be always in our minds  :wink:   we MUSTN'T say that it's the fault of the previous teachers  :)  It's now our duty to let them forget their teachers' terrible previous way of teaching and let them get used of our new modern good  way  :wink:

I'm not saying that teachers should neglect Arabic language and shouldn't use it in teaching  :!: No .. We can begin by using Arabic, for example, in the first session. In the next one we can minimize talking in Arabic and we can mix between the two languages .. Keeping in mind that you should share the students with such ways .. I mean you have to encourage them to speak in English even if they make mistakes  :arrow: After you make sure that they can understand your way of teaching and can understand the language you are talking in, you have to minimize it until you keep saying just in the target language  :arrow:

Last but not least  :mrgreen: what about the low level students??  :roll:
Do you think, as a teacher, that all the students in the same class are of the same level? Of course not .. they are of different levels and for that we can't depend on the way that suit the low level students  :wink: we have to go step by step .. we have to support them to be creative and encourage them to be very good  .. We have to think of ways that make them love the language and make them participate more .. What about the group work?  :P I think this is a good way to let all the students get the benefits from each other and let them express their opinions and thoughts  :wink:
Students can’t learn how to speak unless they hear the English language from their teacher first and from authentic materials used in the class second. So, when the teacher speaks English in the class, the students will listen to the language and they will be able to communicate with the teacher and the other students in the target language.
*1  *1

حلواني,  
Thanx for your participation  *1 please read my comment above  *1

يشاهد الملف الشخصي  

مرسل: الجمعة آب 13, 2010 12:25 ص 
مشرف قسم ما بعد التخرج و طرائق التدريس
مشرف قسم ما بعد التخرج و طرائق التدريس
اشترك في: 23 آذار 2007
المواضيع: 103
المشاركات: 1681
المكان: HoMs
القسم: Higher Institute of Languages
السنة: ELT Master_2nd Year
الاسم: Mohammed Al-Masri
لا يوجد لدي مواضيع بعد

غير متصل
Raghad,  

thanks for this interesting controvertial topic

The obligation of learning without accompanying it with tangible motivations for remarkable students and real solutions for those who cannot even read, although they are seven or eight-graders as I saw in my limited one-year teaching period. The solution is not, by any means, sending their fathers to jail.
We must reconsider our old governmental educational laws in order to be able to apply these new methods and techniques of teaching. Until that time the classic way of teaching i.e. teacher-centered class, unfortunately, will be the only appropriate way.

يشاهد الملف الشخصي  

إرسال موضوع جديد الرد على الموضوع  [ 21 مشاركة ]  الانتقال إلى صفحة السابق  1, 2, 3  التالي

جميع الأوقات تستخدم GMT + ساعتين [ DST ]

لا تستطيع كتابة مواضيع جديدة في هذا المنتدى
لا تستطيع كتابة ردود في هذا المنتدى
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك في هذا المنتدى
لا تستطيع حذف مشاركاتك في هذا المنتدى
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملف في هذا المنتدى

البحث عن:
الانتقال الى:  

جميع الحقوق محفوظة لـ ©2012Art-En.com . تصميم بواسطة Art-En . راسلنا . سياسة الخصوصية . قوانين المنتدى